Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SOS/I am dumb

• Please log in to reply

Micah7

Micah7

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Is the VGA "PORT" able to be repaired? (metal pin part) Cable is ok, but attached part w/little metal (aluminum?) pins was bent/broken in an amateur attmept to disconnect the screwed-in cable.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hi Micah7,

Welcome to the forum.

I'd say there is little chance to repair that.

What is the make of the computer? Desktop or Laptop?

Edited by zep516, 15 October 2011 - 12:03 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
You say bent/broken. Which is it? Bent, or broken? If bent, you might be able to bend back - though often they break when doing so.

An electronics technician may be able to replace the connector, but not likely it will be cost effective.

Micah7

Micah7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
dESK TOP

Micah7

Micah7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
SOME ARE BENT, A FEW BROKE OFF. sO WHAT WOULD IT COST, APPROXIMATELY?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Where is it? On the motherboard or card? If card, I would just buy a new card. If on the motherboard, I would probably still buy a new card. You can tell which by the location of the connector. If in the rear panel I/O area (with the mouse, keyboard and other clustered connectors?, then it is integrated into the motherboard. If in the slot area, then a card.

I suspect, if the technician has the part on hand, and everything went smoothly, he (or she) could replace it within 1 hour and therefore charge you 1 hour of labor. And I suspect that would be $60 - $75.

You can get a new card for less than that. And note a new card would likely have a better graphics processor than your current integrated processor (unless you have a newer, higher-end motherboard). But also, since a card comes with its own RAM tweaked for graphics, this would free up the big chunk of system RAM the integrated graphics has snagged, err I mean shares now. In effect, you get a little RAM boost in the process, providing a little over-all performance boost (unless you already have a massive amount of RAM).

You need to determine what type expansion slots you have available. It is almost a certainty you have PCI slots available, but if you have AGP or PCIe, that would be better as they offer better performance. So you need to research the specs on your the exact model number of your computer (or motherboard, if custom built) to see what you have.

This assumes the broken connector is not shorting out any critical circuits. At least make sure the bent pins are not touching any other pins or the shielding.

Micah7

Micah7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Wow, thanks...I am a total amateur regarding computers. Where do I buy a new card?

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
You can either buy it from a retail store (Circuit City, Best Buy, Wal-mart) or through an online store (such as newegg.com or pricewatch.com). Retail stores tend to mark up the graphics cards substantially! You can save a significant amount of money if you purchase online.

As Digerati pointed out in his post:

Be sure to choose a graphics card that matches the slot type you have in your PC. Before you buy, check out your system specification or documentation to see whether your slot types are PCI, AGP, PCI Express, or a combination.

If you provide us the Make of your computer. Dell, Gateway, or whatever it is, and the associated model # we could help you pick the right Video card.

Micah7

Micah7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks. It's a Hewlett Packard/desktop...I'm not home right now to get the other numbers.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Ok, If you have trouble finding the Model #......

Try this it should locate the model # for you.
This procedure can be used on HP and Compaq desktop computers manufactured between 2000 and 2010.

Press CTRL + ALT + S

While holding down the Ctrl and Alt keys, press the S key on the keyboard.
The Compaq Support Information window appears. This window contains the model number of your HP computer.

Micah7

Micah7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No, I'm not able to even use my computer...I am at my relative's house using theirs. Sorry for the mix up. .

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
That's fine! When you back to your computer you can post the model # for us.

Micah7

Micah7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi. Here are some numbers:

H Compaq 2450 microtower

d 2450M/AS12/80 hnd/IT/11f US

hp s/n MXL 8280X53

p/n AN521US#ABA

Thanks for all your help. Not sure when i woill be back on here...hopefully within a few days.