Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell just died

• Please log in to reply

brycrip

brycrip

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
Hi Geeks... have a dead Dell Latitude Laptop with XP. Was typing in Word when there was a small "click" and everything shut down. Pressing the power button causes the two power lights to come on for 5 seconds but nothing happens. Screen is black, no cursor. Holding the power button down just causes the power light to re-cycle on for 5 seconds... off... on for 5 seconds... off... Can't boot into Safe Mode. Is there a re-start button on this thing? An internal fuse? Any help, as always, is very much appreciated.
Bry

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sounds like the system board died.

Try unplugging the power cord and removing the battery. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds.
Plug the power cord in but leave the battery out.
Does it power up?

If yes, do a normal shutdown then install the battery and try it again. If it works great. If not the then repeat above and run on line power until you can replace the battery.

If this does not work then you will need to take it to a reputable repair shop to have it looked at. More than likely the system board (mother board) will need to be replaced. This can cost you $150+, depending on the cost of the board and installation charges, unless you feel capable of doing the work yourself. It's not a simple job as laptops are a PITA to disassemble. If you can find a step by step guide, many of which are available, it's easier.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
Thanks for getting back to me, Ztruker... sorry it took so long for me to reply but I don't have easy access to a second computer. I know my battery is bad. I get about three minutes from it after charging so hopefully this is part of the problem. The laptop goes into "hibrination" often and I have been worried about that harming the machine. I am in a remote area and getting things like batteries and motherboards is going to be difficult. Anyway I'll try to boot up using the method you describe and get back with you in a day or two.

Thanks so much... Bry

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I order those kinds of things off the internet. Usually costs a lot more to buy them locally.

Good luck.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
Hey Ztruker... I tried to boot up as you described but no luck I'm afraid. I'm in a remote village in the Dominican Republic... no mail service. I will need to travel to the city to have the computer repaired. They will probably replace everything including the laptop hinges before they get around to the motherboard. I will get expensive. Is there a way I can be sure that it is the motherboard so I can instruct them as to the specific work I want done? Or, if I replace the motherboard myself, can you recommend the instruction manual you mentioned in your first post?

Thanks for everything, regards, Bryan

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sorry Bryan, the only way I know to test the motherboard is to replace it. Not a simple task but not too difficult if you're a detail oriented type.

Need the exact model number to be able to look for instructions on replacing the motherboard.

Hmmm, I wonder if the problem could be with the power adapter? You can check the output with a voltmeter, usually around 19V DC. If not output then replace the adapter. If you do have good output then all that's left is the motherboard.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
Thanks Ztruker... Sorry about the delay getting back to you... life in the 3rd world! I have found a repair facility in the city and hope to take the laptop in this week and let them troubleshoot and give me an estimate of the repair. Having your input will be very helpful when speaking with them. Again, thank you! I'll let you know how I make out.
All best,
Bryan

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
Hi Ztruker... Strike One!!!!

Took the computer to a place recommended to me. The guy kept it over night and then charged me 100 pesos to tell me, 'somethings broken inside'! Well thanks for that...

I have a lead on another repair facility so I'll try there... wish me luck!

<Bryan