Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer starts but won't boot.

• Please log in to reply

AtWitsEndAgain

AtWitsEndAgain

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well, I can turn on my computer, but it will not boot. I've tried all the Safe Modes, Starting Windows Normally, and Last Known Good Configuration, but selecting any of those will result in the computer freezing and displaying

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I've tried the Recovery Console, but I kept getting a blue screen with

STOP: 0X0000007B (0XF78E2524, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000).

I also don't have a recovery disk or the setup disk. I'm not computer savvy, so I apologize if I've used the wrong terms.

Thank you for your time.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Firstly Welcome to GeesktoGo
Next I am sorry that you have joined, with your first post having such bad news (probably)
The error you are receiving, preventing the Recovery Console from loading is shown below.
Note the line in bold.

Device Driver Issues
You may receive a "Stop 0x0000007B" error message in the following scenarios:
  • A device driver that the computer boot controller needs is not configured to start during the startup process.
  • A device driver that the computer boot controller needs is corrupted.
  • Information in the Windows XP registry (information related to how the device drivers load during startup) is corrupted.

The error you received when you tried to load Windows

When you try to start or restart your Windows XP-based computer, you may receive one of the following error messages: Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
Manual steps to recover a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting

tends to indicate a corruption of the registry. This would be reinforced by the second error when trying to load the recovery console.

Have you used a registry cleaner - DO NOT - they are sometimes the cuase of this error and frequently the cuase of less serious errors.

Have you received other errors prior to this that have caused you to force a shutdown. ie: the computer has locked up.

YOU MAY NOT recover from this error without a reinstall of XP. HOW did you load the Recovery Console please, if you do not have ANY XP installation CD`s. Is it a preinstalled boot option.

If your data is important to you you MAY be able to recover it using this
http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/

Please follow the instructions carefully. You will of course need to make the CD on another computer and it is important to note the special burning instructions. The download is what is known as an ISO image and a normal CD burning program will not burn that.. The burning program required is on the link with the instructions.

It maybe that if there is a HARDWARE fault, such as your memory or your motherboard - to the hard disk controller or your hard disk itself etc. that Puppy will either not run, or you will be unable to recover your data. As Puppy runs ONLY in ram it is a reasonable test of that and a test of your graphics card.

DO this first and then we can continue to see if we can establish the cause of the error using other tools.

Finally post the make and full model of the computer please if it is branded.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 October 2011 - 06:00 PM.

AtWitsEndAgain

AtWitsEndAgain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thank you so much for the quick reply.

I did not use a registry cleaner. This occurred because something caused the power cord to come loose while the computer was on, so the computer was forced on and off without my instruction. I haven't received any errors prior to this one.

I was able to access the Recovery Console because it was one of two options that were offered when the computer turns on. Normally, it chooses to start Windows automatically. The screen displays something along the lines of

Please select the operating system to start:
Microsoft Windows Recovery Console
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice. Press ENTER to choose.

Once I select that, it would say Starting Windows Recovery Console... Please wait... and I would get a blue screen immediately after.

The computer is a Dell Dimension E520 Pentium D 2.80 Ghz with a CD drive, DVD drive, but no floppy drive.

I was able to run Puppy and save what I needed. Thanks so much!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Pleased you got your data

If I am correct this is your computer. Where please does your Monitor connect on the lower PCIe graphics or on the integrated.

Have you ever been inside the tower?

AtWitsEndAgain

AtWitsEndAgain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I opened up the tower a little over a year ago to switch the video card, so the monitor's connected to the lower PCI Express.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to confirm your attachment. Yes, that looks to be my computer.

Edited by AtWitsEndAgain, 18 October 2011 - 08:52 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The first approach in view of the power cord issue is to see if you can access Recovery Console from a CD

Do this please

I would like to try creating a Recovery Disk, as you do not have the Windows XP disk., and the computer will not boot to the Recovery Console installed on the hard drive
Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3 or as appropriate to your system.
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC - which if you saved it you already have from Puppy but the link includes it.
Your ISO is located on your desktop if you would need it again.

Once you've created the Disk, proceed like you would with a normal XP CD:
How to run checkdisk from recovery console.
  • Insert the Recovery Disk into the drive and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:
    chkdsk /r
  • Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors
Posted with acknowledgement to Artellos

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 October 2011 - 07:50 AM.

AtWitsEndAgain

AtWitsEndAgain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
When BurnCDCC is finishing up on writing the disc, a window pops up and says

Unable to read from disc
0h 02 3A 01 70

I've tried writing the disc twice on a Vista computer. Do I have to write the disc from the computer with XP?

Anyway, even with the error from BurnCDCC, I ran the two CDs, but I still got the blue screen I mentioned in my original post when the computer tries to start the Recovery Console.

Edited by AtWitsEndAgain, 19 October 2011 - 04:20 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
No you do not have to make it on the XP computer
Were you downloading the Exe, that is the one you wanted.

However

Try this one.
Here is the link to the ISO file
http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso

Here is the link to the burn with instructions
http://sites.google....-console-for-xp

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 October 2011 - 04:36 PM.

AtWitsEndAgain

AtWitsEndAgain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I burned another disc following your new instructions, but I still got the blue screen.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Did this disc BURN without the error

Unable to read from disc
0h 02 3A 01 70

Connect the monitor to the integrated graphics.
Enter BIOS, normally F2. Check BIOS for enable integrated graphics.
If there make that setting and save and exit.
NOW try.

If still no good, open tower
See this image
Posted Image

NOTE IMPORTANT This is NOT your motherboard but you can work from this diagram.

On here the ram is J, K, L and M.
You will likely only have two slots.
Take out by releasing the small white/grey clips at each end of the ram the stick furthest away from the processor H on this image.
RETRY the boot.

If no good take out the other stick and insert the first one you took out in that slot.

CAUTION Do not work on a carpeted surface. The ktichen work surface is ideal on a tiled floor. Before removing or reinserting the ram, touch the bear metal case with BOTH hands to discharge any static in your body.

The ram is reinserted by pushing gently on the top edge of the stick, and then checking that the clips at each end have relocated in the slots.

WHILST YOU HAVE THE CASE OPEN - check the cleliness of the fans and the cooling fins of the CPU. If necessary clean with a very soft brush or an air duster spray if you have one, NOT the tyre compressor which will cover the componenets in moisture. DO NOT allow the air duster spray to spin the fan, it may well destroy the bearing bush

Goodnight - signing off back about 1800 UK time.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 October 2011 - 08:12 PM.

Advertisements

AtWitsEndAgain

AtWitsEndAgain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yes, I was able to burn a disc without the error. Unfortunately, I was still unable to access the Recovery Console, even with the new methods you provided. When I get to Windows Setup, there are no options for me to select. The only things on the screen are "Windows Setup" in the top left corner, and after a few seconds, "Setup is loading files" on the bottom. Eventually, "Setup is loading files" changes to "Setup is starting Windows" and the screen turns black for a moment before blue screening. So long story short, I'm still getting the same blue screen..

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. You are now booting from the CD are you. This may require you to enter BIOS and make the CD the first boot device.
That is normally F2 and then Boot Priority and make CD the first boot device, Save changes and exit normally F10

It is F2 and you then want boot sequence.
Here is the link to your manual for the computer
http://support.euro....20/en/index.htm

If still nio good
Proceed with the rest of my post please re the graphics and the ram etc

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 October 2011 - 06:54 AM.

AtWitsEndAgain

AtWitsEndAgain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I've set the CD to be the first boot, and have booted from the CD manually. What happens after was described in my previous post.

I've taken out my graphics card and connected my monitor to the integrated port, removed and replaced ram, but they all end up with the same results.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Do this please
http://support.euro....8&isLegacy=true

AtWitsEndAgain

AtWitsEndAgain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
After pressing F12, I reached the Boot Device Menu, but it did not have the option to run Pre-boot System Assessment Diagnostics. So instead, I ran the only available diagnostic, Hard Drive Diagnostics, and that came back with
Fail. Return Code: 7