Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron Windows 7 will not start

• Please log in to reply

miszeewithkids!

miszeewithkids!

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
My sons computer will start up with the Dell Inspiron screen and then go directly to a blank black screen with a flashing cursor and stops. I tried Ctrl + F11 and all that happens is a bunch of beeps and back to the black screen. I did not get a Windows 7 recovery disc. Any help please?

Advertisements

miszeewithkids!

miszeewithkids!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
It was working earlier today. He has cloud protection and I used Malwarebytes Anti-Malware removal as recommended from this site. When it restarted, it started this problem.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
try a System Restore first

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft Windows on a Dell Computer

http://support.dell....acy=true#Issue1

Unable to Access the Desktop.

1 Restart the computer.

2 Tap <F8> during startup until the Windows Advanced Options menu appears. If the Windows Advanced Options menu does not appear, restart the computer, and try again.

3 Press the <Down Arrow> until Repair Your Computer is highlighted, and press <Enter>.

4 In the System Recovery Options click to select your language, and click Next

5 In the System Recovery Options window, log in as a user with administrative rights, and click OK

6 Click System Restore.

7 In the System Restore window, click Next to display the most recent restore points in chronological order.

8 Click the Show more restore points check box for a complete listing of restore points.

9 Click to select a restore point.

A good starting point is to attempt to restore from the most recent restore point. If this fails to correct the problem, then try the next oldest restore point until the issue is resolved. Any software installed after the selected restore point needs to be reinstalled.

10 Click Next and then Finish

Edited by peter99, 17 October 2011 - 06:16 PM.

miszeewithkids!

miszeewithkids!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
F8 does not work nor does Ctrl + F11 - I can't get to the system restore. I created a backup on my computer (also Windows 7) and booted from the disc on my sons computer. Tried to restore and get an error that it could not be completed. Just stuck!! One time I was able to get the a different screen buy tapping all the different F11 keys and trying Ctrl with the F keys. At this screen I chose a wrong option and I went back to the blank screen. Now I can't get it to come back up......AT A LOSS!!

miszeewithkids!

miszeewithkids!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
This is still an issue - can anyone help me?