Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck in "checking file system on c:"

• Please log in to reply

TwoDanes

TwoDanes

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Okay...from the beginning.

I realized a few months ago that I could no longer restore my computer back to a previously created restore point. I KNEW that wasn't good but, at the time, I just didn't have time to mess with it.

Then, about a month ago, I realized I could no longer open task manager and that reminded me AGAIN, this is NOT GOOD. But, I was starting a new job and, AGAIN, didn't have time to mess with it.

Last week, when the new job installed my new software so that I could work and they tried to access a web site to set up a shortcut on my desktop and that page kept crashing and reloading....YUP, YOU GUESSED IT. I KNEW THIS WAS NOT GOOD. I HAD A VIRUS.

I've ran a multitude of malware, trojan, spyware programs and nothing is getting it. I ran a system check disk with a /f option and it fixed a few things and I saw something about JAVA. Upon researching JAVA, I found out that if you have older versions of JAVA on your computer, you are susceptible to viruses. Yes, I had been ignoring those little boxes of JAVA updates. So, I know where it came from, so I had to GET IT OFF.

I decided to do a Windows repair and when I got out my Windows XP setup CD, I found that it was cracked. I went to the local computer store and they sold me a Windows XP setup CD for "refurbishers". I inserted it, ran the repair, and rebooted. Then, it asked me for my product number to activate it. I inserted the OLD product number from my original CD and it wouldn't accept it. So, I skipped it. It's been downhill ever since.

I was able to get the machine to finally boot up into XP but I still couldn't open task manager, restore to a prior date, or open the web site that my employer needs me to get into. I'm assuming the virus is in the MBR and that's why I can't get rid of it. I set the machine to run another file system check on reboot (why? I have NO CLUE.) and that's when the problems REAAAAALLY started.

It ran the system check and when it was finished, it just sat there. I rebooted it, it ran the system check AGAIN, I let it finish, it rebooted, Windows XP screen comes up, blue screen of death just flashes (not slow enough to read anything), reboots again, goes into system check. If I press a number to skip the file check, it stops and then just sits there. And we go round and round and round and round.

I went into Repair Console on the CD and did a "fixboot" and that didn't help. So, I did a "fixmbr" and that didn't change anything either.

I'm running Windows XP SP3
AMD chip (no name brand on computer. I built it.)
Running AVAST virus protection (licensed version).
Not a novice geek but have enough knowledge to be dangerous without supervision.

Can anybody help me save my computer or do I just need to give up and wipe it out????? Thanks. By the way...ASAP please. I'm having a hard time working on my laptop. Thanks so much.

Teresa from Ohio

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Boot into Safe Mode:

(Reboot and when you see the maker's logo, hear a beep or it talks about F8, start tapping the F8 key slowly. Keep tapping until the Safe Mode Menu appears. There should be an option to tell it not to automatically reboot on a crash (if it's new enough) otherwise

Try loading the last known good configuration.

or choose Safe Mode with Networking. Login with your usual login.)

Ron