Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DLink DIR-615 and Linksys WMP54G

• Please log in to reply

tgilbert

tgilbert

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I was previously using the Linksys WMP54G with a DSL (which worked fine), and recently switched to 12Mbps high speed using the DLink DIR-615 router. Now I get this error while attempting to log in - "you are connected to the access point, but the Internet cannot be found".

I can ping a printer from this pc (printer is also hooked up to the network) - using a dos command window, but I can't get beyond this error and can't get on-line using a browser. BTW, I have a couple laptops, a desktop, and a printer wirelessly hooked to this network - that are running fine. I've unsuccessfully scoured the Linksys forums, and am starting to think it has something to do with the router.

Does anyone have any insight into what might be happening?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hi tgilbert and welcome.

Is this the same router all along?

If the other computers are working fine, it is not likely the router.

Did you uninstall your old interface drivers before installing this new one?

tgilbert

tgilbert

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the welcome. To answer your questions:

This is a different router (DSL router was incompatible with the high-speed router).

I don't think it's necessarily a router hardware problem - perhaps a setting? I have one desktop that is using a different brand of wireless card (other than the Linksys), and that one works fine. However, it is physically near the router - versus the non-functional one that is on a different floor in the house.

I didn't install any new drivers on the Linksys WMP54G. I wanted to systematically troubleshoot the problem before trying things randomly.

It's weird that I am connected to the network (I say that because I can ping other devices on the network), yet I can't use the browser (i.e. - can't go on-line).

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I got you now. My confusion. I thought you were saying the network adapter was new. If you enter the router's IP address in your browser's address bar, can you see the router then?

If you can ping the other devices on your network, that would rule out distance so I would suspect a wireless security setting in the adapter - especially if you never reconfigured this system to connect to your new wireless network.

tgilbert

tgilbert

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The setup happened when I was away from home.

I can tell you that the security was changed from WPA to WEP. Could that be the smoking gun? Also, since I can ping other devices on the network, I must be able to talk directly to the router (I would guess - I'm not currently at-home, so can't check).

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Could that be the smoking gun?

If you didn't re-configure the pass-phrase on the NIC, then I would say yes.

tgilbert

tgilbert

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I did update the pass-phrase, to what the router is looking for. I wouldn't have been able to talk to the printer otherwise. Here is the error I see on the Linksys app: "you are connected to the access point, but the Internet cannot be found".

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Yeah, that is weird. I'll have to think about that one. Hopefully someone else will come by that has seen this. One thing, do you have the router set to limit the number of simultaneous connections?

tgilbert

tgilbert

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
That's a good question...I'll have to check into that. Thanks for all your support.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Thanks for all your support.

Well, not sure tossing out guesses is much "support", but maybe with a bit of luck...

Advertisements

tgilbert

tgilbert

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I may have figured it out. There are two profiles that I think are conflicting: 1) WPA dsl profile, which is set up as the "default" profile; and 2) WEP high speed profile. I need to figure out how to delete/modify the default profile. I'll report back with the results tomorrow.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Please keep us posted.

tgilbert

tgilbert

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well, I was able to delete the default WPA profile (which was for the DSL network); and create a new one using WEP security (for the 12Mbps network). I am encountering the same error message as before - "you are connected to the access point, but the Internet cannot be found". I think that is a misnomer that really means you are not connected to anything. Some related FYI - I was not able to communicate when I tried to ping the printer - not sure why I was thinking I could - maybe I tried from a different computer, and had an alzheimers moment - mea culpa. Anyway...during the setup, I allowed the NIC to auto select settings. Tonight I'm planning on manually configuring it. More to follow...

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Then in that case, I would move this system closer to the WAP (wireless access point) to ensure it is not a distance thing. You might try connecting by Ethernet too, as a test.

tgilbert

tgilbert

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Solved - User error. The app allows you to configure for various security configurations. The high speed internet installer had set the system up using WEP (I'm probably going to change to WPA). There is something called a "passphrase" that allows the user to add a password to the security setup. It echos this value in a 5-byte string in the WEP Key field (for a 64-bit WEP encryption scheme), as you enter the value in the passphrase field. After trying numerous things (including: orienting the system near the router; and reinstalling the card and software), I entered the password in the WEP Key field and that fixed it. It's not a really intuitive thing to do - I was just trying things.