Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

accer aspire x3810

• Please log in to reply

Curtis Cotoni

Curtis Cotoni

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hello all,

my name is curtis cotoni and im fairly new to this site used to use it a long time ago but some might know my father Jerry Cotoni aka tazz1964, he was a huge computer wiz but passed away a little over 2 years ago. so since i cant ask him for help or advice i will ask the one place he always was on. i have a acer aspire x3810 that i snagged from work because we were going to junk it, it is running windows vista home premium 64 bit with sp1, when i start the computer it boots fine but after completely booting up it tells me that there are program errors and will have to close them. i tried doing a factory restore does the same thing with the errors, i did a complete windows update of 82 updates it completes them and tells me to restart the computer, once i do that it will not boot up and tells me there is a hardware error on a black screen, the screen tells me i can boot it up in regular mode or in repair mode but when i try to choose either or it wont do anything at all and just stays at that screen..... what could possibly cause this error and make it not boot at all after the updates are completed? i thought it could be vista and have heard nothing but problems with that OS but not sure, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you all!

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
"will not boot up and tells me there is a hardware error"

Don't blame Windows if it says there's a hardware error. It means an internal device or component is faulty.
Start by testing the RAM & then the hard drive.

RAM test: http://memtest86.com/

Hard drive test: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

I have both Windows Vista & Windows 7 and neither give me any problems, though Vista does very occasionally get it's knickers in a twist but corrects itself in a few seconds as long as I don't lose patience and start clicking all over the place in frustration which just causes further delays. Generally though, Vista is fine. Nine times out of ten, a user blames Windows when in fact they've either got a malware infection, a failing hard drive or faulty RAM. None of which can be blamed on Microsoft.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 19 October 2011 - 12:26 PM.

Curtis Cotoni

Curtis Cotoni

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
okay i will have to do a factory reset on that computer and get it back on the internet so that i can run those tests and by the looks of things i will have to purchase the ram test cd to be able to do that? correct me if im wrong lol and does it matter which one i download for the harddrive test? or will any ones from the list matter? thank you for ur response i really do hope it works