Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't open IE 9 or uninstall

• Please log in to reply

debbie1215

debbie1215

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hope you can help. I recently upgraded to IE 9 and it was working fine. However, suddenly yesterday, i cannot open it at all. The circle icon spins for about 5 seconds then does nothing. I attempted to uninstall IE9, but it does not show up in my list of windows updates, so I have no way of removing it. I followed a few tips found on the microsoft support forum. They told me to enter cmd.exe and enter the following FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-9*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"
However when i went to restart my computer it restarted with the "configuring updates" screen. Then that screen stated that updates could not be configured properly and it would revert. I cannot install a lower version of IE because it still detects 9 in my system. I have tried to reinstall 9, but it does nothing either.
I am assuming I have a majorly corrupt file somewhere but I have no clue how to repair it. I am running 32 bit Vista on an HP notebook (Pavillion dv6500)

I use Firefox for most of my day to day work but have on work-related app that requires only Internet Explorer so I NEED to have access to it for work from home use.

Please tell me you can assist - I really don't want to do a whole Vista reinstall and wipe out everything unless absoutely essential.
Thanks in advance - I have used you guys before and you are amazing!!

Deb

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Deb,

I am sorry for the delay in responding. Do you still need help?

To uninstall IE9 please do the following to find the update.

Go to > Start > Control Panel > Windows Updates and click on Installed Updates found in the lower left hand area of the pane and search for Windows Internet Explorer 9 that should be found under Microsoft Windows. If it is there, Right click and uninstall. It should revert back to IE8.

If this is not possible you may be able to use System Restore to restore to a time before that update was installed.

I really don't want to do a whole Vista reinstall and wipe out everything unless absoutely essential.

There are other options to correct this before having to perform a complete reinstall. That would be a last resort.

Donna :)

Edited by DonnaB, 20 November 2011 - 12:58 PM.

Arun17

Arun17

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Deb - did you find a solution to this ? Even I need to uninstall Ie9 and I tried the below command from cmd prompt but it says Ie9 not found. I neither see the IE9 files under Programs and features. Could you pls assist ? Thanks

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Arun17,

Welcome to geeks to Go! :)

IE9 will not show in Programs and Features. It installs as a Windows Update. Follow the instructions I provided for debbie1215 above as follows:

Go to > Start > Control Panel > Windows Updates and click on Installed Updates found in the lower left hand area of the pane and search for Windows Internet Explorer 9 that should be found under Microsoft Windows. If it is there, Right click and uninstall. It should revert back to IE8.

If I may ask, why do you want to uninstall IE9. Are you have specific problems?

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Donna :)

Edited by DonnaB, 20 November 2011 - 01:08 PM.