Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Secondary passworded administrator account not fully deleted

• Please log in to reply

zzturn

zzturn

• Pip
  • 7 posts
RRRgh! I created a secondary, passworded admistrative user account on my old laptop (uses Vista Home Basics 32 bit). After realizing this laptop doesn't have enough memory to keep another user account properly, I deleted the secondary account using my main administrator. Although the secondary account is no longer visible to log into--it seems it still exists and is taking up mass space. I can see the account still exists when I use Windows explorer to view users.

Not sure if I'm to restore it to then find an alternate way to permanently remove it without system damage. If that is the case I don't know how to restore it. Or should I just take the chance and delete the rest of files at risk to my system--a warning was present when I tried ... so I didn't.

I've seen similar posts, but not to deal with a semi-deleted, passorded admin account. Sorry if there is a thread on this, but I can't find it.

Any advice?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

1.When you created that account, did you transfer any files and settings to the account and load anything on to it OR did you simply create the account and leave it at the default settings.

2. Did you create this account in User Accounts, Control Panel.

3. Is the system account visible it is NOT unless you have made it so.
When Windows is first instaled a system Admin account is created.
This is NOT normally visible in Vista, but can be made so and can then be logged into.

4. When you deleted the account was any error message or warning message received.

5. Did you delete the account using only the Control Panel user accounts or did you delete it through command prompt

IF YOU used ony the standard access means via Control Panel AND the system admin account is NOT visible at log in. That account by default has NO name to it. Then IS ALL the rest of Windows working normally or are you receiving error messages etc.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 October 2011 - 02:06 PM.

zzturn

zzturn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
For some reason it let me delete the Z's folder and files today without the warning about system interference. I print screened how the Control Panel showed only 2 users prior while windows explorer showed the Z's file.

I guess the problem is now solved...it's deleted now, but wouldn't let me yesterday odd.

Thanks for the help...sorry the problem seemed to fix itself.

On a side note, do you think I need the "Default" user listed there or can I delete that too?

Attached Thumbnails

• 1problem.jpg

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The purpose of the default account is so that when a new user account is created, anything in the default user account profile will be automatically loaded when that user account is logged onto.
Depending on HOW your system is setup, you may delete that folder, however be aware that if you do, then the next user account you create will load ONLY the basic profile

The purpose of a default profile is so that all users can have the same facilities that you place in the default profile.

Do not attempt to delete the Guest account it is there by default..

I think you MAY have a problem, if you wish to further explore the issue please post.
There is no reason why those files should have stayed once the account was deleted.

zzturn

zzturn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I think the folder/user may have been improperly deleted because is was a passworded, administrator user. Perhaps there's something in Windows to try to preserve administrators (esp. if hacked). I will keep an eye open for trouble though.

Thanks again.

zzturn

zzturn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Actually if you have any theories on another possible problem, I would welcome the information...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Type cmd in the search box, do not press enter. Then above that on cmd right click and click run as adminstrator.
When the window opens at the prompt type
net user administrator /active:yes
press enter

you should see this
Posted Image

Now type exit.

Now go windows button and switch user.
Now check that you have the system admin account, password usually left blank and log in on it.

Then after verifying that the account is working OK and you can get in, as this is the account you will enter for troubleshooting that can not be acomplished by other means etc.
Normally you will enter it through command prompt on start up options if you have problems with other account profiles.

After verifiying as above . Log OUT of that account and go back to your admin account.
Go back to the cmd - Run as admin and then type this
net user administrator /active:no

the same procedure applies
you receive the confirmation and then type exit.

After doing that and assuring yourself that the admin account is available, and has not for some reason been corrupted
Proceed to this please.
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others).

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!" OR YOU CAN RUN THE TEST ANON. without signing up. - you will see that at the end of that screen. The results will still be saved long enough for me to look at them.
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

PLEASE DO NOT RUN ANY OTHER PITSTOP tests offered on their website and my advice, but please appreciate that I have no way of knowing your degree of knowledge, so please do not be offended - DO NOT make any changes recommended on the Pitstiop results. I will advise you.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 October 2011 - 02:02 PM.