Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Startup

• Please log in to reply

jlajla24

jlajla24

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok, so I know a little bit about computers. Must be a little less than I though.

I ran Registry First Aid and get rid of some auto start programs. I knew what each program was and nothing was crucial to the system operation.

After First Aid got rid of the autostart programs, I had to restart the computer. But, when I restart I hit a snag. It goes to the bootscreen, then the login/welcome screen. Then it shows my background image and nothing else.-----let me revise that.....it just popped up. So Im good to go as for getting the computer to start. But now for whatever reason, it takes probably 3 or 4 minutes for the pc to get to the desktop on startup. It just sits......with my background image and nothing else showing. If i try to restart while its in the middle of this process, it gives me "explorer is not responding" and the end program message. So obviously I've jacked something up there.

Any ideas? And was all of my rambling clear enough?

System is a Pentium 4 2.8ghz on XP

Advertisements

Guest_yezpahr_*

Guest_yezpahr_*
have you tried Taskmanager and gone to the upper-left button (in Dutch it is Bestand, it could be File in your language?) Well, anyway, "Run" Should be there, click it and type: Explorer
Hit <enter> key and it SHOULD boot. If not, your Explorer migh be hijacked or you deleted it yourself. If you haven't done that, sometimes Windows XP makes a critical error at shutdown without giving you noticable warnings. It will corrupt your Explorer.exe and that could be the problem too.

If you think I was right about that hijacking, try this:
http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

I hope this will help you, your welcome.

jlajla24

jlajla24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks for the info on the explorer. But, there seems to be more symptoms that I have recently discovered. My internet connection won't work and when I try to start a DOS based program it comes back with a "winsock version 2.0 needed". And it is still taking forever to reboot. I went back to a system restore point and it didn't help.

Any ideas?