Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer wont start

• Please log in to reply

Stacey Perkins

Stacey Perkins

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ok so i was on my computer and it was working fine. i walked away for like two minutes came back and it was off. i tried to start it back up again and got nothing. the computer itself is about four years old so i figured maybe it was the power supply since we bought a better one when we bought the comp we still had the original that camewith it so i put that back in there. i have a blue light that comes up on the motherboard and when you hit the power button the cpu fan tries to start for about 2 seconds then nothing and a yellow light appears on the mother board this is driving me nuts does anyone have any idea what it could be. i dont want have to waste money replaceing the motherboard and various parts if its just something that can be fixed or someone knows the specific part that would need replaced. the mother board is an nvidia nforce 680i lt sli, and the cpu is intel 2 duo

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Stacey Perkins and :)

ok so i was on my computer and it was working fine. i walked away for like two minutes came back and it was off

Swapping the PSU was the logical approach and would have been my first suggestion so thank you for letting us know you had already done this, the previous PSU may have however affected another component (see below).

i tried to start it back up again and got nothing.

Suggests that the PC is failing to POST http://www.poweronselftest.com/ please see my canned text below for checking the Ram and the video card;

As there is no onboard video another pci-e video card may be required for testing, at this point do not try the present card in another computer in case it is bad and causes damage.
The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall and take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.
1: Check the condition of the pc to monitor lead, no bent pins in the end connections and that both ends are secure.
2: Remove the video card, blow out the slot and then re-seat the card securely, if no luck try the second pci-e slot
3: Remove each of the Ram sticks then try each stick individually in each slot until all have been tried.
4: Clear the CMOS by removing the MBs silver CR2032 battery for a few moments and then replace it, if you get the
screen back after clearing the CMOS you will need to go into the BIOS, re-set the time and date and save and exit.
Hopefully one of the above will resolve the issue but if not try another video card first if you can.
Good luck, let us know how it goes and please be sure to disconnect the power cord from the wall socket before adding or removing each component.