Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

firefox using 100% of cpu

• Please log in to reply

arizuka

arizuka

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Basically, pretty frequently while browsing, Firefox will suddenly shoot up to 100% CPU and the browser, or rather the web connection thru the browser, will completely freeze for several long seconds up to a minute. During that time, no pages will load, downloads if there are any, will freeze. It usually comes back, but sometimes it freezes completely, necessitating a force close from the task manager. This started about a month ago, possibly coinciding with an update, but I'm not sure which one because there's been so many (and has gone through every release since then) and happens on both of my computers. I've disabled every add-on except ABP and Java Quick Starter 1.0. I've actually had to switch to Opera at times because sometimes the freezing just renders the browser completely unuseable. I've cleaned cookies and run virus scans, defragged, you name it, nothing's fixed it so far.

Both of my operating systems are Windows XP.

Advertisements

muhib1996

muhib1996

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Looks like you haven't re-installed FireFox, download the latest version and completely remove the previous, then re-install it.
If you are using firefox 3.5 or around of this version, uninstall it. Because it's very buggy and people are having a lots of problems with it.

arizuka

arizuka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Looks like you haven't re-installed FireFox, download the latest version and completely remove the previous, then re-install it.
If you are using firefox 3.5 or around of this version, uninstall it. Because it's very buggy and people are having a lots of problems with it.

Ahhh. I haven't had to do that in awhile, does it save my bookmarks and the like or do I have to do that manually before I remove it?

muhib1996

muhib1996

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
It's not too hard, follow the mozilla support or techiebuzz, both of them will help you on how to backup firefox. Then do the uninstallation.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi,

Please pardon my intrusion. :) I just wanted to share my experience with Xmarks which is an Add-on that supports Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Safari (Mac OS). Very easy to use. Just install, create an account and your bookmarks will be synchronized and backed up online and are accessible if and when you have to reinstall your browser or if you ever have to do a complete reinstall of your OS. This Add-on has saved me on a few occasions.

Xmarks User's Manual

:yes:

arizuka

arizuka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

It's not too hard, follow the mozilla support or techiebuzz, both of them will help you on how to backup firefox. Then do the uninstallation.

Alrighty, I did that, complete uninstall and then reinstalled the latest version. I guess I'll just report back on whether I'm still getting massive CPU spikes or not. Thanks for the help. :]

arizuka

arizuka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
well, after reinstalling, using TFC and restarting, I'm still getting the CPU spikes that freeze the internet. ideas?

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

ideas?

On the Menu Bar go to > Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled (aka:Firefox Safe Mode). See what happens.

Since you have disabled all Add-ons except ABP and Java Quick Starter 1.0 I would focus on Java first if everything runs "normally" in Firefox Safe Mode.

muhib1996

muhib1996

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Hmm, if you can't find any solution at last, then you should post it in the Mozilla support forum, or u can also search it, because I think other users have also faced this kind of problem. Or follow the instructions of DonnaB above, it may also help u.

John Bull

John Bull

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Interesting about FF and CPU usage being high.

I have FF version 3.6.23 and lots of personal data, programs and bookmarks which I must not lose under any circumstances.

In previous updates, FF has never lost anything, all my data has been carried forward to the next new version. I have no facility to back up data, so this option is out unless I can back it up on my hard drive. I would not know how to do this in any case.

This is one of the reasons I have stuck with FF 3.6.

Question ?

Will updating to Firefox 5 ensure that all my bookmarks and other data is transferred as on previous occasions ?

Thanks

Edited by John Bull, 30 October 2011 - 05:45 PM.

muhib1996

muhib1996

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Will updating to Firefox 5 ensure that all my bookmarks and other data is transferred as on previous occasions ?

Don,t take risk. Though updating doesn't delete your data, but please make a backup. To know how to do it, look at the above of the same forum. I myself have posted it.

JackJohn

JackJohn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have had the same problem. Solution was Ctrl+Shift+Del and delete everything. http://support.mozil... Recent History