Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow computer suspect intrusion request hijack analysis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

speedboy

speedboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I was just running VRT on the "computer" portion , and the pc crashed, it came up to a black boot screen saying could not find the HD. i rebooted into safe mode and it is up again. at this point i have run every component of teh pc on VRT except "my computer" and "email" , i believe no threats have been detected.

Advertisements

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Hi speedboy,

Run this step and then tell me what problems you have.

• Go to Start -> My Computer
  • Right click on C: disk and clik on Properties
  • Click on tab Tools and click on Check now... button
  • Check Automatically fix system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • Click Start button
  • Confirm schedule disk check next time computer starts with Yes button
  • Restart your system and wait while system checks your disk for errors

speedboy

speedboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok, not sure where we ended, but i did run the diskcheck in dos on restart. it took about 3 hours and deleted or replaced alot of bad or corrupted files.

i think the OTL scan was inconclusive showing no threats.

Tell me where we are at. and if there are other steps i can take ,

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Hi speedboy,

I think that your disk is causing you all these problems. Now we'll try to sort thinks out on your disk.

Download and run Puran Disc Defragmenter
Click on Boot Time Defrag button and choose Restart-Defrag-Restart

Posted Image

After this step please tell me how is your system and what problems you have now.

speedboy

speedboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
maliprog

we ran the puran defragment restart-boot-restart, and i had also run a windows defrag the day before.

actually we are now operating in normal Vista mode, not in safe mode...

did you see anything in any of the registry or other files that was suspicious that should be deleted or is extraneous such as browser helpers, etc. ? should i run another registry test for you to look at?

we are finding the pc much better now, so i am thinking much was a hard disk issue. However when i run the task manager after startup for the first 10 minutes there is alot of activity to the point where the CPU usage is in the 50-90% range, so there is something going on at startup and just after that is sucking the RAM ... not sure what.

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
I think that your problem was hard disk and we solved it. Let's do Malwarebytes scan and see where we stand with malware issue.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.
Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts, click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.