Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Seagate 1.5TB HDD not mounting

• Please log in to reply

nStuff

nStuff

• Pip
  • 4 posts
After I accidentally dropped my Seagate HDD for the second or... maybe it was the third time it stopped responding, but not immediately. It worked fine right after the fact, but when, after powering my system down for the night, I plugged my external Hard Drive into a USB port the next day it wasn't recognized by Windows Vista (this is before I made the switch to linux). I can hear it spin up (and I can hear the Read/Write Head move around for a bit--not sure if it stops moving or if it just stops moving audibly), and it will be recognized by my system for like 2 or 3 secs before it unmounts and disappears; so I think that there's something wrong with the input and/or output wires in its USB cable or the soldering for its USB Mini-b (5-pin) port were damaged. At the very least I think that there's some sort of problem with how it manages its power because when I unplug its USB cable the little Seagate light that turns on when you plug its USB cable into a Computer System's USB port won't turn off, but it doesn't fluctuate (you know, from dim to bright and back again) like it's supposed to either. But all of my backups are on there and I need to gain access to them 'cause when I grew impatient during the process of trying to move my files from my Windows HDD partition I just got tired of having to wait so long and I just formatted the whole Hard Drive. So, yeah, I need help on this one.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
If you can remove the disk from the case, you can try directly connecting to see if the disk is working or if it is the USB interface.