Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

all search engines crash [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
This is not good but we need to try:

1. Make sure disk surface is clean and there is no scratches. Insert it again and press Retry button.
2. If you have two CD/DVD ROM Drives then try to insert disk into another drive and press Retry button
3. If all fails then you must click Skip button and let installation repair to finish.

Hopefully process will be finished and you will have your system back. After that test it and let me know the results.

Advertisements

SueTD

SueTD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I tried the other drive but it did not recognize the CD was in there. I put it back in the first one and then hit retry but I got the same message so I had to skip. Another few things have been coming up saying it can't copy that file so I hit retry each time I get a message and sometimes it continues. If not, then I am doing skip for each of them.

It got to about 80% and then a blue screen that says to restart computer if first time seeing this message. Then disable anti-virus, disk degrag or backup utilites. Check hard drive configuration and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

So, I had to turn off and restart the computer. It went to a screen that said Checking file system on C and it is running CHKDSK but I didn't get an opportunity to put in /F. It deleted orphan files and corrupt files. That is what it is working on now. If you have any suggestions at this time, I will be checking back when the computer is done so I can reply again with the results.
Sue

SueTD

SueTD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
It didn't get to finish but went to another blue screen that says STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error} The session manager initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of (0x00000000 0x00000000) The system has been shut down.

So now what?
Sue

SueTD

SueTD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
My laptop stopped working but I thought it was the battery so I took it to Best Buy. It turned out to be the adapter. While I was there, I mentioned the problem I was having with the PC to the Geek Squad. He said that since I have a Dell, I probably have a Dell CD rather than an original Microsoft Windows XP CD and that I will not be able to restore the system with that CD without losing everything. This is why the screen said it didn't recognize it as a Microsoft image. I may know where I can get an original Microsoft XP CD by this coming week, otherwise I would need a suggestion of where I can purchase one.

As I said in the beginning of my topic, I don't know that much about computers so I didn't know that I should probably have mentioned it was a Dell and all my CDs that came with it say Dell on them.
Sue

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Removed.

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
First I need to know what do you have.

I was reading your replies and I have question before you begin. Please try to find all your DELL disks and write down for me what do you have and please write full titles from your DELL disks.

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Hi SueTD,

My computer is a Dell Dimension 4700. The reinstallation CD is purple and although it says Dell at the bottom of the CD, it does say Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Including Service Pack 2. I also have a blue CD that says it is for Reinstalling V.9X (Capable)/56K Data/Fax Modem Software for Microsoft Windows. Is that the info you wanted?

OK. You have original DELL Windows XP disk. This disk should have Repair install option.

Can you please try to do Repair install with that disk as I describe in post #43.

SueTD

SueTD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Ok, I will try those instructions today and get back to you.
Thanks for reopening the topic.
Sue

SueTD

SueTD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
These were the steps I tried last time, but this time it seemed to finish the repair portion of the setup. Checking drive C:... is taking a long time. Should the dots after the C: be moving or anything? They are not. If the dots are supposed to be flashing or anything to let me know it is working, tell me what I should do about it. If it is okay that they are not moving, I will just wait until it is done. Do you know if this should be like 30 minutes or more like hours?
Sue

Advertisements

SueTD

SueTD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
My last post was at 11:29am. It is now 1:20pm and the computer still says Checking drive C:... I don't know if that helps you determine whether it is still working on it or if the computer is frozen. the dots after the C: are still not flashing and I have no indication that the computer is doing anything. I usually hear some sort of noises when it's working on something but I hear nothing. I'll check back later for your reply.
Thanks
Sue
PS..I came back online at 7pm to edit this reply and add that the computer still looks exactly the same. I imagine that means it is just not doing anything. Do I just turn it off, back on and try the same step #43 from the beginning or something else?

Also, I looked back at a previous reply and saw you asked for all the Dell CDs I had. I had only listed the two I thought looked like reinstallation CDs. I do have a CD that says Dell E773c Color Monitor User Documentation Contents: HTML User Documents, Drivers (INF,ICM and CAT files)and one that says Application for reinstalling Sonic RecordNow 7.3 LE Software. The other CDs are for Word Perfect and my printers.

Edited by SueTD, 02 December 2011 - 06:11 PM.

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
I will call some tech help here. They will help you quicker and better then me. Stay tuned...

SueTD

SueTD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Ok Thanks. I'll check back.
Sue

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
SueTD

Hello.

1. You cannot of course leave that computer frozen on that apparent diskcheck. Although I am sure by now you will have forced a shutdown.
If NOT and it is still in that situation, please do shut it down.

2 The manual and other documents for the Dell Dimension 4700 as is the usual case do not list what MAKE of HDD is in that computer.
It is I think you will find a SATA drive. If we knew the make of hard drive then we could run the manufacturers utility in extended test to assure ourselves that the hard drive is, on the evidence available in a healthy state.
Although some of the measures already taken have run to completion, many of them, before you even started on the repair installation, have resulted in crashes and BSOD and I would like to make some checks on hardware.

3. If you feel competent to do so, I would like you to see if you can, ascertain the make of HDD. Here is the manual for the computer
http://support.dell....m/Y69490LRs.pdf

Please see page 74 onwards.

CAUTION Working inside a computer requires special precautions for anti-static and a VERY careful following of the porcedures in that manual. IF YOU have never opened the case of the computer then MY ADVICE is to do ONLY that. NOT to attempt removal of parts.

When you have the case open - check visually the general cleanliness of the inside for dust and dirt.

IF THE INSIDE is clearly very dusty and dirty and the fans are covered in dust and the vents of the case are, then please post back for further advice.

In the meantime I will post with two programs I would like you to run.

One is a disk check that will run on any drive and the other is a test of the ram.

I

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Further to the above

1. IF THE INSIDE of the case and fans etc are DUSTY and dirty DO NOT PROCEED TO the check in this post.
DELAY these and we will deal with the cleanliness issue first.

2. If the inside is clean proceed to here please
Go to this link
http://www.seagate.c...000dd04090aRCRD
Download either the Seatools for DOS - on a CD - it is an ISO image and requires a special burning procedure - all is explained on the link

HOWEVER - do NOT use the tools suggested on the link - if you do not have a burning program that will burn ISO images use this
http://www.snapfiles...a=7122834&loc=2

OR make the floppy, I think the 4700 has a floppy drive.
These tests will run on ANY hard drive, but NOT in their full diagnostic mode on other than a Seagate (Maxtor) drive.
If you require it, although the procedure for the tests is straightforward you simply boot the computer with the CD or the floppy.
However here is the link to the instructions
http://www.seagate.c...DOSguide.EN.pdf

3. Having run that post back please with the results and I will then decide the next best course to take.