Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

all search engines crash [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

SueTD

SueTD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
The name of the file that I downloaded says SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO
That file has the word DOS in it so maybe it's the right one? I used that BurnCDCC application I was told to download. I will start over and try again.
Sue

Advertisements

SueTD

SueTD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I started over with the downloads, burning, etc and don't know what I did differently this time but IT RAN! So I guess I did it right this time :)

I have to look back to see how I get you the information you need from the bad computer or what you said to do next. I just wanted to update the reply from the previous one!

Sue

Editing this reply: The screen came up on the computer but I am now reading the instructions on running the tests.

Edited by SueTD, 10 December 2011 - 05:48 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I admire your perseverance,

Many people would have given up by now.

Just boot and run it.
Start with short test.
Note the result.

IF IT WILL RUN - run Long test I think it is or Extended test I just cannot remember which it is called.
The full notes are on the link. - the same link as you downloaded it from.

SueTD

SueTD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I looked back on the posts where it said to run the short test and then the long test. When I clicked to run the test, I got a message that said a Smart trip had been detected, do I want to continue? So I said no and decided to show you what the info is that is listed under "Selected Drive Information" in case this "smart trip" will require that I do something different:

Selected Drive Information
Device 0 is ATA Device Maxtor6Y080M0 Y2L4RBPE On Generic PCI ATA
Max Native Address 156249999
Device is 28 Bit Addressed - LBAs 156249999 ( 80.000 GB )

This drive supports Security Features
SMART Is Supported and ENABLED
SMART TRIPPED
SMART Has Been Tripped!!!
DST is Supported
Logging Feature Set is NOT Supported
POH 16812

Let me know if I should continue to run the test or not.
Sue

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
YES

SueTD

SueTD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Short Test FAILURE
Please save this code if you are planning a warranty exchange. Seagate product warranty status depends on how the product is sold. If your hard drive is a component of an OEM system, then the OEM covers the drive warranty.

Unfortunately, your Seagate hard drive has failed an important diagnostic test, possibly caused by a problem sectors which are difficult to read. Now is a good time to make sure you have a current backup of your important data.

Seagate recommends that you run the Long Test, which has the ability to repair most problem sectors. SeaTools for DOS may be able to save you from the inconvenience and down time of echanging the drive. For more information on this subject see our help topic 'Bad Sector Found'.

Long Test Errors
First two paragraphs say the same as above. The last paragraph says "Seagate recommends that you consider repairing the problem sectors." Then the last two lines are the same as for the short test.

So, I guess I need to know how to use whatever SeaTools has to repair problem sectors? or use something else?
Sue

Edited by SueTD, 10 December 2011 - 07:35 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The bad news is you cannot.

Seagate hard drive has failed an important diagnostic test, possibly caused by a problem sectors which are difficult to read .

As this

Seagate recommends that you run the Long Test, which has the ability to repair most problem sectors.

is of course what you DID - the long test.

Without geting too technical - when a hard drive starts to fail, sectors on the drive become what is known as BAD.
To explain further a sector is for all practical purposes 512 bytes in size.
There are 1000 bytes in a kilobyte and 1000 kilobytes in a megabyte.
Hence 1 million bytes in a megabyte.

No disk utilty can repair BAD Sectors. Windows chkdsk and Seatools reocovers the data from the bad sector - IF POSSIBLE and rewrites it to a good sector.
The sector is then on Windows chkdsk marked as bad and no data is then wriitten to it.

The expression REPAIR BAD SECTORS is misleading - they cannot as I have said be repaired.

I am signing off. It is 0125 hrs UK time.
You need a break as well if I may say so.

I will post again about 1700 hrs.

SueTD

SueTD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Thanks for the information about BAD sectors. I'll check back tomorrow afternoon. In case you are taking Sunday off, I will just check back the next day too.
Sue

Edited by SueTD, 10 December 2011 - 08:01 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
SueTD

I have just scanned through all of your thread. from when you started with my colleague mailprog.

In my opinion the apparent errors we have now discovered on the HDD are perfectly illustrated, in earlier parts of the thread when the computer would NOT run certain programs sent to you by mailprog in his process through the original aspect of the Malware matters. Not only would some programs not run, but the computer frequently blue screened or simply crashed.

To move forward -
There is NO way to be certain NOW if the heavy build up of dust particularly on the CPU cooling fins, has caused damage by overheating. Indeed, built in to the motherboard on computers are protection devices to initiate a shut-down if temperatures are detected, above a safety limit. Unfortunately these basic measures may sometimes be a little like the comparison of an oil-warning light illuminating on your car- it is frequently too late - the damage has been done.

HOPEFULLY you will have got away without serious damage.

My recommendations now are:

1. Check carefully that you have NOT disturbed the connections to that drive. It is SATA, so you, most likely have two thin narrow cables. They may very well be red coloured. ONE will go from the motherboard to the drive, that is the data cable and the other will be from the PSU to the drive - that is the power cable. Check both but the favourite is the DATA cable. If that is not properly inserted in the drive and the motherboard, this MAY be the cause of the Seatools error report.

Please note this is unlikely - BUT worth a check.

Here is an image - again posted with acknowledgement to Troy and Artellos - that will help you. The cables on this image are yellow.

It is unlikely yours will be neatly secured like the image and it is only for your general assitance.
If you are UNSURE which is the Hard Drive - go back to your manual - on the link I sent you.

Posted Image

2. If after inspection you have ANY doubt that they were secure, then re-run the drive test.
DO NOT re-run that test if you are entirely satisfied that the cable was secure, both at the motherboard and the drive.
If that drive is failing, as all the evidence suggests, another extended test could well cause MORE failure.

3. Any attempt to progress further WITH that drive is pointless. ALL you are likely to suceed in doing is to ruin your chances of accessing the data.

4. A replacement HDD of that specification ie: 80Gb is readly obtainable at relatively cheap prices. I do not know what your access, where you live, is to items of this nature.
Here where I am, one of the local computer repair shops, would more or less give you one that is in a computer he has taken in and establsihed that the motherboard was instance was faulty and the specification of the computer was unworthy of repair.

However you go about it, you need to obtain a known good hard drive - it is SATA connections. DO NOT SPEND more than you absolutely have to - as the TEST is having obtained the drive to load a free operating system - perhaps UBUNTU. If that runs perfectly you may then be assured that your motherboard, processor, graphics and ram are OK.

If Ubuntu will NOT install on that drive and RUN then expenditure on YOUR desired replacement drive is pointless.

6. If Ubuntu performs perfectly, on this cheap HDD you have obtained, you then buy the replacement drive. Possibly a 250Gb - average price in the UK - £40
You then use your Dell Cd`s to reinstall your operating system.
Once you have that installed and updated you can then connect THE DRIVE now in the computer - either externally in an enclosure or docking station and attempt to access that drive from the Computer with the NEW drive on which you have installed, Windows, from your Cd`s.

7. You can then, providing it is possible to access the drive - COPY from the external to the NEW hard drive your Picures - documents - music etc.
All your programs such as for instance any Microsoft Office programs, and all non Microsoft programs - NOT included in the CD`s will be lost UNLESS you have the installation media.

8. If the DRIVE was good there is a way, using Seagate Disk Wizard, not the same as you used for the disk check, to CLONE the existing hard drive to the NEW one. HOWEVER it will more than likely fail due to the corruption of the files on the drive caused by the bad sectors.

There is a wealth of information here. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ASK
For instance when you are ready I will provide the link and guidance to Ubuntu - the details of enclosures and docking station etc.

YOUR FIRST tasks are
1. Check the connections etc.
2. Obtain this CHEAP as possible drive to test the system with the FREE Ubunta installation.

SueTD

SueTD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I am going to print out your last post so I can read and follow one step at a time. I do have an external drive that I had run to back up the computer at some point (not sure how long ago). It's called SimpleDrivePS by SimpleTech. Hopefully I ran that properly so some of my photos and work folders are actually saved on it. If I can't recover the info on the hard drive, I don't know how to get the info that is saved on the external drive back into a computer.

I'll try the steps in your post first. I believe there are some local computer repair places where I can check for a replacement HDD.

Sue

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Hopefully I ran that properly so some of my photos and work folders are actually saved on i

If you connect it to your laptop - you will find out if they are there. DO NOT copy the files to your LAPTOP.

I don't know how to get the info that is saved on the external drive back into a computer.

A simple - copy and paste.

I have covered that point.

Once you have that installed and updated you can then connect THE DRIVE now in the computer - either externally in an enclosure or docking station and attempt to access that drive from the Computer with the NEW drive on which you have installed, Windows, from your Cd`s.

7. You can then, providing it is possible to access the drive - COPY from the external to the NEW hard drive your Picures - documents - music etc.
All your programs such as for instance any Microsoft Office programs, and all non Microsoft programs - NOT included in the CD`s will be lost UNLESS you have the installation media.

SueTD

SueTD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
A family emergency has prevented me from getting online until today and I have not been able to attempt anything with the computer. I may have to go out of town for a few days. I thought I would let you know so you don't think I am ignoring your posts. I will try to take care of these next steps and post back as soon as possible.
Sue

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It was nice of you to take the trouble to post.
All the best with the family situation.

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.