Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Denied access to some websites by ISP. what is this?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

granty85

granty85

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi, I'm in an asian country on a small island and I've paid for a username and password to gain access to one of the wireless networks on the island. Normally i would consult my ISP about this issue, but they dont speak english, and i signed no contract, received no 'terms of agreement' or rules or anything like that. so im hoping someone might be able to explain how and why this problem is occurring because i sure as [bleep] cant ask the ISP, they have no idea what im asking.

When i try to look up some websites that were available to me in my home country, i receive an Access Denied error message. for example, one website is a manga film and international film distribution company for australia, the website works fine, but as soon as i try and use the browse function of the website, for example, browse upcoming releases, i receive the access denied message.

Also some adult sites i receive the same message when i try to browse, and then some websites im completely denied access.

anyways, some more information. its an unsecured network that only allows connection to the internet once you open a browser and then login, then it all works.

What i'm trying to figure out is, why would i be denied access to websites even if they are legitimate sites, safe, ethical, legal, etc?
also, is it illegal to try and get past these access denied pages? or even possible? condoned? etc
thanks in advance guys

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is the second topic you have opened on this subject. The first is located HERE which has ben responded to by another member as well as myself.
To make this simple what you are asking is to bypass your ISP's security measures in what seems that they have denied access to the site you are trying to get to. In some countries this practice has become the normal and we cannot help you go around their security measures.
I would suggest you contact your ISP and find out if they have denied access to the site. We cannot help with this issue as I stated before and quoting again below.

We here at Geeks To Go cannot help you get around any sort of administrative restrictions imposed on a School, Work, or any other network not owned and operated by yourself.
These restrictions can include (but are not limited to):
  • Website Blocking policies
  • Software Installation policies
  • Email retention policies
  • Software Configuration policies
  • Network/Internet usage policies
  • Network Configuration policies
  • Forum or Chat Room Bans
  • Game Server Bans
  • Any other actions that are deemed "unauthorized" by the owners/administrators of the network in question
Any actions by members of the Geeks To Go site that would be offered to help in this manner would directly violate the TOU of this site.

If you have any questions or issues please contact a Moderator or Admin for clarification.