Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system capabilities help me - basic questions for geeks

• Please log in to reply

NJ63

NJ63

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi

I have upgraded my laptop with Windows 7 - Dell XPS M1210. Internet access via modem

It appears to be working ok. Slow to start, so I use 'sleep' to curb my impatientness.

I have had vista, MS word etc on my computer. Are these software programs wiped from computer when I upgrade? My avaiailbe memory space is approx 20 gig from approx 55gig. I am currently using a trial version of MS office as i can't find previous software on computer, and store very little data, photos etc on my system.

So basically I would like help to work out if I have unnecessary hardware or software on my laptop, the best setup for my usage which involves Office programs - word, spreadsheets, powerpoint, access to internet - servers.Music, photos, videos etcI

I hope this makes sense.........I can drive laptops/ computers etc but am not familiar with mechanics....and my resident neighbourhood geek has left the area.

Thanks

NJ63

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hi NJ63 and welcome.

I am not sure what you are asking. If you had Vista on your machine, and you installed Windows 7, unless you installed an "upgrade" version using the upgrade option, it is most likely everything was overwritten in the process.