Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BOOT from CD-ROM issues

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

sremed

sremed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Okay. It's gotta be something on my end then. Both links take me to the "About:Blank" white screen. I'll have to wait until I can get to another computer and try again. I'm trying to do this on my wife's laptop. That might be the problem.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Do you use a router ? And does the laptop have some redirect problems ?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

sremed

sremed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
My computer was infected a few days ago. The worm took over Windows and IE so all attempts to do anything from that computer failed. I received some help from essexboy in this forum to download (1) Dr. Web Live, and then try (2) OTPLENet.exe. Here are the issues I'm having.

I downloaded Dr. Web Live to the desktop of my laptop, as instructed. When I try to write it to a CD here is the log that comes up: The lines beginning with I show up as a blue circle with an i. The two lines that begin with W show up as a yellow triangle with an !

I 09:08:19 ImgBurn Version 2.5.6.0 started!
I 09:08:19 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)
I 09:08:19 Total Physical Memory: 2,095,536 KB - Available: 1,204,552 KB
I 09:08:19 Initialising SPTI...
I 09:08:19 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
I 09:08:19 -> Drive 1 - Info: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4241N 1.04-AB (D:) (ATA)
I 09:08:19 Found 1 DVD-ROM/CD-RW!
I 09:08:25 Operation Started!
I 09:08:25 Source File: C:\Documents and Settings\test\Desktop\drweb-livecd-600.iso
I 09:08:25 Source File Sectors: 91,333 (MODE1/2048)
I 09:08:25 Source File Size: 187,049,984 bytes
I 09:08:25 Source File Volume Identifier: DrWebLiveCD
I 09:08:25 Source File Application Identifier: DrWebLiveCD
I 09:08:25 Source File File System(s): ISO9660 (Bootable), Joliet
I 09:08:25 Destination Device: [1:0:0] HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4241N 1.04 (D:) (ATA)
I 09:08:25 Destination Media Type: CD-R (Disc ID: 97m26s66f, CMC Magnetics Corp.)
I 09:08:25 Destination Media Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 6x, 10x
I 09:08:25 Destination Media Sectors: 359,994
I 09:08:25 Write Mode: CD
I 09:08:25 Write Type: SAO
I 09:08:25 Write Speed: MAX
I 09:08:25 Lock Volume: Yes
I 09:08:25 Test Mode: No
I 09:08:25 OPC: No
I 09:08:25 BURN-Proof: Enabled
I 09:08:26 Write Speed Successfully Set! - Effective: 4,234 KB/s (24x)
I 09:08:26 Filling Buffer... (40 MB)
I 09:08:28 Writing LeadIn...
W 09:08:59 Failed to Write Sectors -150 - -119 - Reason: Write Error
W 09:08:59 Retrying (1 of 20)...
I 09:09:29 Writing LeadIn...
I 09:09:30 Writing Session 1 of 1... (1 Track, LBA: 0 - 91332)
I 09:09:30 Writing Track 1 of 1... (MODE1/2048, LBA: 0 - 91332)

While it is working, the tray to my CD-ROM drive pops open and I get a message to manually close it and press OK. When I do that an ERROR message pops up that reads: "Verify Failed! Reason: Layouts do not match."

So I can't write Dr. Web Live to a disc.

When I click on the two links for OTPLENet.exe, it goes to a white screen and the URL at the top reads About:Blank. essexboy assured me the two links were good, but I've tried them several times and only get the white screen.

So I can't write either of these programs to a disc to see if that will fix my other pc.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Is this on the infected system or the other computer ?

sremed

sremed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'm not using the infected computer. The infected computer is a Dell Inspiron 531S desktop. I'm using my wife's IBM ThinkPad laptop to try and download the programs for the CD. Windows XP and IE8 on the laptop.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Do you still have OTLPEnet of the computer ? If so just double click the file and it will commence the burn sequence automatically

sremed

sremed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
No. I don't have it. When I click on the link it goes to that About:Blank page. Just a white screen, nothing happens. I'm sure the link you gave me is a good link, so I'm trying to figure out what that About:Blank is. As near as I can tell it has something to do with opening new tabs in IE7 and above.

Based on the log I provided above do you have any idea why Dr. Web Live won't write to a CD? I've uninstalled it and redownloaded it and it's always the same. When I originally double-clicked on it to open it from my desktop, it would open with some program called Sonic something or another. I changed the default so now it opens with ImagBurn. But when I click to write it to the disc, I get those same error messages I described above. Just wondering if there's a work around I can use to write it to a disc.

I have the BIOs in my other pc all configured to boot from the CD-ROM drive. I just need to get a program written to a disc so I can see if that will get rid of the virus.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you reset the router please :

To do this there is usually a small button on the back
Using a pen or paper clip press this in
The router will then reset to default settings
Now try OTL download again please

But use this link

sremed

sremed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Okay. I have a DLink 655 router, the pc is hooked up with ethernet, the laptop uses a DLink wireless card. Do you think that would make a difference?

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
If the router was infected it would explain the inability of both systems to download the programme

sremed

sremed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hmmmmm. Never heard that a router could become infected. I'll try bypassing the router and see if I can download.

sremed

sremed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Could you reset the router please :

To do this there is usually a small button on the back
Using a pen or paper clip press this in
The router will then reset to default settings
Now try OTL download again please

But use this link

Did all this. Bypassed router. Downloaded OTPLE program to desktop. Double clicked. It asked if I wanted to burn to CD, I clicked yes and it opened with ImagBurn and went thru the process. Got a message the operation was completed successfully, no errors. Booted the infected pc with disc in drive, but it opened up to Windows. So I reconfigured the BIOs so 1st Boot, 2nd Boot and 3rd Boot were all CD-ROM. Tried it again and got the same message:
No boot device available
SATA 0: Installed
SATA 1: Installed
SATA 2: None
SATA 3: None

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you try the disc on the good computer please so that we can rule out a CD drive problem

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.