Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My xp won't boot instead it showsStop:c0000221(Bad Image Checksum)

• Please log in to reply

MIse*

MIse*

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
My xp won't boot instead it shows Stop:c0000221(Bad Image Checksum) The image ntvdm.exe is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not much the computed checksum)and to top that of i don't have an xp installation disk and i don't know what key and when to press it to acceses the bios menu it is a phoenix A04 optiplex 280 series running windows xp,so basically i am asking three thing how to access the bios menu,how to fix my problem and i want to know,if i borrow a ("COPY") of the windows xp installation disk from a friend will it work the same as the ("ORIGNAL") thanx for any help.!!!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi MIse and :)
1: Phoenix BIOS "how to" access at the attached link;
http://www.hiren.inf...bios-boot-cdrom please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service available there.
2: You cannot without an XP disk or USB device with a legitimate version of XP on it, it must be the version or above, Xp Pro will work with XP home but not the other way around, this is due to home not having all the options that pro has.
3: See the explanation given in answer 2.

Please be aware that GTG will only assist you if you have a legitimate XP disk or a USB device with legitimately obtained XP software on it and this is fully explained in the terms of use;

p.The posting of links or references to warez or any other type of illegal software is strictly forbidden. By doing so you risk having your user account terminated without warning. We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software or services illegally.

Thank you for understanding.

MIse*

MIse*

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
First of all don't consider me a thief for one bit(byte) because i am not,i am just 14, i just want to know if it works you know can i boot by a copy disk not nessecarly xp any thing like boot or recovery disk for example if i download a free boot or recovery software in a cd will it be able to boot from the cd in such a way that it will load before the drive if i change the bios setting thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

First of all don't consider me a thief for one bit(byte) because i am not,i am just 14

No implication or offence was intended, I was purely bringing to your attention the code of conduct that we must all adhere to, the law is the law no matter your age and a copy is a copy and so has not been legitimately obtained.
There would be nothing illegal about using your friends actual master disk to repair or reinstall your OS as long as you enter your own 25 digit product key which should be found on a sticker at the back or side of a desktop and the base of a laptop, if you cannot do this then I suggest the following approach to repair your OS;

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

Thanks to Artellos for the above :)

MIse*

MIse*

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Sorry,Sorry,Sorry,Sorry,Sorry i havent been able to respond it was because i had exam and s**t like that anyway your response was good for a person who can boot in remember i can't even boot in safe mode that is the [bleep] problem man if i was able to boot in it would have helped but no i can't boot in so i am back to square one but if there is anyway you know how to delete files from the HDD maybe even formate it without booting in,that would help because i got this disk called (gigabyte) and it load before the drive in such a way i explained before then when i pressed backup it said,not enough HDD space,;please help thanx

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
No need to apologise we appreciate that you have other things to do and that you have also replied, thank you.

anyway your response was good for a person who can boot in remember i can't even boot in safe mode

The information @ http://www.hiren.inf...bios-boot-cdrom shows you how to change your boot sequence to 1: CD drive and 2: The HDD once it is changed press F10 to save the settings and then Y to accept the new settings.
This will then allow you to boot the Recovery console disk that is provided as detailed below;

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

Thanks to Artellos for the above :)

but if there is anyway you know how to delete files from the HDD

Try Puppy Linux http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/ only delete items that you are 100% certain of old pictures, music files etc avoid (do not delete) anything to do with Windows, Microsoft in general and all dll files.

maybe even formate

That is the last resort and is normally only suggested if the operating system is beyond repair.

If you are able to boot up successfully I recommend you test your HDD "how to" below;

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions :yes:

MIse*

MIse*

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok,i have to say you are not just smart you are also high tech angels for waiting this much,i mean if i were the admin i wouldn't have waited this long,you see i haven't tried any of what you said but it is for the good cause yesterday(12/11/2011) my dad bought a new toshiba laptop running windows 7,i don't know but i think he bought it of some one else because it had a few problems i mean i am either an anti computer or something because the next day w/c is today(sunday),after 15 minutes of working it flashes on and off and then it says it is shuting down and then it restarts i thought it was the resolution but i have tried changing it,and it usually occurs when i play chess titans and when i open the windows media center,the thing is a beauty but don't be fulled cause it is a dump why? Well because it is a laptop and it can stay on your lap right but this get reall hot i mean i can [bleep] my breakfast in it well the other thing i hated was the speed which was 2.10 ghz thats it so give your usuall helpuful response to this flashy problem Phillpower2 bye and thanxxxxx for any help

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi again MIse
Normal forum etiquette calls for 2 computers with issues to have 2 separate topics to avoid confusion so please remember this for the future, if you require further guidance regarding the Toshiba then start a new thread.
Overheating is a common cause of what you describe so the inside of the case may need cleaning using canned compressed air, you need to remove any covers that you can HDD, Ram etc and then direct short blasts of air into any opening that you can, remove the Ram and blow out the slots then replace the Ram securely, reassemble, boot up and see how it goes.
Other possible causes include a bad CPU fan and a bad power supply both the battery and the AC adapter.
Some cautionary notes, when using canned compressed air do not upend the can as fluid can be emitted and always use a laptop on a clear flat surface so that air can circulated freely, do not use laptops on soft surfaces such as beds, sofas and as you found do not use them on your lap.

MIse*

MIse*

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for your help guys but i dont need you assistance on this anymore because i dont work with my old desktop any more thanxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for your help anyways <|-|>

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Ok and thanks for letting us know :thumbsup: