Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Babylon search.

• Please log in to reply

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
There are four separate registry files in the backup folder, adding .txt extension doesn't seem to change them to text files? They are titled- 'Babylon 11.11.2011.21.35.49','FixAddRemove', 'FlashPlayer9', 'RestoreDesktopIconPos'. The 64bit IE icon has to be replaced each time I boot.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
We want the one called

Babylon 11.11.2011.21.35.49

It's real name is Babylon 11.11.2011.21.35.49.reg but you probably can't see the extension so can't change it to Babylon 11.11.2011.21.35.49.txt.

I don't know which procedure yours uses so I am giving you both:

If using Windows XP:

Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
Double-click on the My Computer icon.
Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
After the new window appears select the View tab.
Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.
Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.
Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
Press the Apply button and then the OK button and exit My Computer.
Now your computer is configured to show all hidden files.

If using Windows Vista or Windows 7:

Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
Open the Control Panel menu and click Folder Options.
After the new window appears select the View tab.
Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.
Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.
Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
Press the Apply button and then the OK button and exit My Computer.
Now your computer is configured to show all hidden files.

If you still can't see the .reg then zip it up and attach it. If you need a zip program then get 7-zip
http://downloads.sou...p/7z920-x64.msi

Then once it is installed you right click on Babylon 11.11.2011.21.35.49 and select 7-zip then Add to Archive. Change the Archive Format: to .zip before you hit OK. It will create a file Babylon 11.11.2011.21.35.49.zip in the same folder. Attach this file to the next Reply.

What do you do when you replace the 64bit IE icon?

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hi Ron, I replace the folder by right clicking IE(64bit) in programs menu and sending it to desktop. I have stopped using 32bit version for now.

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Try the Fix it on this page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813711

That may fix the IE icon going away.

Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt Vista & Win 7 must right click and Run As Admin.). Type with an Enter after each line in the code box:

netsh  winsock  show  catalog  > \junk.txt

ping  8.8.8.8  >>  \junk.txt

notepad  \junk.txt

copy and paste the text from notepad or attach the file c:\junk.txt

Does another browser, Firefox, chrome or Opera have the same problem or is it just IE?

Have you tried resetting your IE? Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, RESET?

Ron

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hi Ron, Microsoft fixit did find two problems and fixed them, though they did not relate to or fix the icon problem which I still have. Does the file Regseeker found- ‘Restore Desktop Icon Pos..reg’ not relate to this problem?

The good news is IE (32bit) is as it should be after a reset; an option I didn’t know about. If I now click on ‘new tab’ I get the ‘What do you want to do now page’ as normal.

I don’t have a problem with ‘Comodo Dragon’, (the only other browser I use) and as I mentioned the IE 64bit version is fine.

Attached Files

• Attached File  junk.txt   9.01KB   164 downloads

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
You can zip up the ‘Restore Desktop Icon Pos..reg’ and I will look at it but since we only did the one search and delete I'm not really sure what that is.

It sounds more like something is actively deleting the icon. (It is just the IE 64bit icon that is going away? If you make a new icon of another program does it go away too?)

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
I left a shortcut for QuickTime on the desktop, rebooted and it's gone?

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Is it just new icons or have you lost your old icons too?

Copy the next line:

dir /a %userprofile%\Desktop > \junk.txt

Start, (All) Programs, Accessories then right click on Command prompt and Run As Administrator (It may just work with double click on yours)

right click and Paste or Edit Paste and the copied line should appear. Hit Enter.

Attach the file C:\junk.txt to your next post.

Download, Save and Right click on unhide.exe and Run As Administrator from

http://download.blee...nler/unhide.exe

Does that make any difference?

Ron

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
It seems I can't put any new icons on my desktop without them disappearing on reboot. The icons that were already there apart from IE are OK.

After following the instructions for 'command prompt' the message 'The system cannot find the path specifies' appears.

The 'Unhide' prog process didn't change anything.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Try copying this line:

dir /a "\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop" > "\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\junk.txt"

Open the Command Prompt as before and right click and Paste or Edit then Paste and then hit Enter.

This should create a junk.txt file on your desktop. See if it still complains that it can't find the path then we have a major problem.

Advertisements

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
It created the file...

Attached Files

• Attached File  junk.txt   2.2KB   159 downloads

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
13/11/2011 18:00 2,545 Microsoft Office Outlook 2007.lnk
12/11/2011 14:01 2,539 Microsoft Office Word 2007.lnk

These 2 shortcuts are both still there. Did you create them or did Office? If you reboot do they go away?

Could you create the 64 bit IE shortcut again and put it on your desktop then make a new junk.txt file just as you just did?

Copy this line:

set > "\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\junk2.txt"

Open the Command Prompt as before and right click and Paste or Edit then Paste and then hit Enter.

Copy and Paste or attach the junk2.txt file

1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check. C:
2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
4. Check both boxes and then click Start.
You will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check, but don't restart yet.

Start, Run, eventvwr.msc, OK to bring up the Event Viewer. Right click on System and Clear All Events, No (we don't want to save the old log), OK. Repeat for Application. Reboot. The disk check will run and will probably take an hour or more to finish.

Start, Run, sfc /scannow, OK

SPACE after sfc. This will check your critical system files. If it asks for a CD and you don't have one or it doesn't like your CD just tell it to SKIP.

Start, Run, sigverif, OK

Press Start. This will check your drivers. If you just get a few when it finishes tell me what they are. If you get a lot just look for those with newish dates (since about the time the problem started.)

1. Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso
http://images.malwar...om/vino/VEW.exe
and save it to your Desktop:
2. Double-click VEW.exe
3. Under 'Select log to query', select:

* System
4. Under 'Select type to list', select:
* Error
* Warning

Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:

1. Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply then repeat but select Application.

Ron

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
I created those shortcuts some time ago, they stay put like the others that were there before, apart from IE.
I did the disk check. It ended without any message.
I did the file check and inserted the disk. It finished without any message.
‘sigverif’ came up with a lot of files but only three for 2011-
eubakup.sys 1/22/2011 v1.0.1.0
eudisk.sys 1/22/2011 v1.0.0.1
eufs.sys 1/22/2011 v1.0.0.1
The nearest to those were 2009
I have combined the results of ‘View. Exe’

Attached Files

• Attached File  junk2.txt   1.3KB   142 downloads
  • Attached File  VEW.txt   710bytes   160 downloads

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hi Ron, Have you deserted me?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
No. Just had some personal stuff to do yesterday. Not really sure why your new desktop icons are vanishing. Try creating a new user then log in as the new user and see if you can make a couple of desktop icons and then reboot and log back in as the new user and see if they stay.