Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with my Dell Inspiron 1525

• Please log in to reply

Lorri N

Lorri N

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have had my laptop for a few years so it is past warranty. Recently my computer has been shutting off and staying off for a number of hours. This last time I was on the internet and it shut off completely and has been down for days now. I push the on button, the on light comes on, I see the cd drive light flash and hear the computer running, but my screen stays black. I was searching the internet and tried to turn it on by holding down the Fn key and the power button. When I did this the scroll and caps key stayed on but the numbers lock key kept flashing.

I'm definitely not computer savvy and would appreciate someone's help on what to do next. I know it is about that time to get a new laptop, but if there is something I can do to save this one I would like to know. Thank you.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Lorri N and :)

I have had my laptop for a few years
Recently my computer has been shutting off and staying off for a number of hours.

Both classic signs of overheating, when if ever was the last time that the inside of the case was cleaned out of heat trapping dust?

This last time I was on the internet and it shut off completely and has been down for days now.

Hopefully not but this may signify that a component has fried with the CPU and integrated video chip likely victims and unfortunately it is not cost effective in older machines to replace either.
I will assist you with cleaning out the case when I have read your reply and researched your laptop details.