Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Samsung R700 laptop fails to boot

• Please log in to reply

pauloggs

pauloggs

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,
my Samsung NP-R700 suffered a weird screen flicker yesterday, and since then has failed to boot. Pressing the power switch results in the hard disk light briefly coming on, and then there is just the power light showing a steady blue. The laptop accepts DVDs, and with the samung recovery disc in there, it spins up the DVD every 5/10 minutes or so.
I've tried running with mains power only / battery only / battery and mains combined. I've also tried booting from the recovery DVD with no luck. I'm not very technical so that is really all I can think of trying.
Hope somebody can help.
Paul

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hi pauloggs and welcome.

It sounds like the power supply is fine. I would connect an external monitor to the notebook and see if you get anything there. If you do, then you know the "computer" works, just not its monitor.

pauloggs

pauloggs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks Digerati, I'll give that a try tomorrow.
Paul

pauloggs

pauloggs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've just hooked my R700 into an external monitor and there is still no signal, the monitor remains blank. The DVD drive seems to be functioning OK, but I can't hear any of the other normal noises. The hard disk light briefly comes on, but then remains off.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi pauloggs
While Digerati is offline can I just pitch in with a check for you to do or see if you have checked out already;
Some but not all laptops need the screen toggling between the laptop and the external screen, sometimes it is achieved by pressing the Fn and one of the F1 to F12 keys (F5 is quite common) they need to pressed at the same time, some laptops toggle by pressing a single function key commonly found on row 1 or 2 of the keypad and possibly with a screen symbol on it, some laptops however display automatically.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I have nothing more to add, but I agree - you most likely need to use the Fn key combo for your notebook to flip to the external monitor.

pauloggs

pauloggs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks phillpower, digerati,
I tried that with no luck. Nothing but a black screen. Paul

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
If you feel confident the battery has enough charge to boot the system, then it sounds like the notebook's graphics solution is toast. If the battery might be dead, then trying another charger/power supply might be the next step, but it is not likely you have an extra one with the correct voltage, current or connector just sitting around. So a trip to a reputable shop may be your only option at this point. Sorry.

pauloggs

pauloggs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'll do that.
Thanks Digerati and everyone for your time with this, it's much appreciated.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thank you for the update pauloggs.