Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 OS on 1 computer.Want to remove one of them but how?

• Please log in to reply

Defacer

Defacer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everybody !
Initially I had Windows XP on my computer located on the usual C.After awhile I installed Windows 7 on my computer but i didn't upgrade it, instead I installed in another partition H:(I have alot of disk drives)
Now I have 2 OS located in two different local disks and every time I boot my computer it asks me which OS I want to use.I decided that W7 i better and I use it of course all the time.But it seems that my computer is slowed because of the fact I have 2 OS and I want to remove the XP from my computer.Though H is the disk where W7 is located when I go to the disk management, C: is the "active", "system" and "primary" disk while H: is only "boot", "page file" and "crash dump".

I really want to get rid of XP but I am not sure how to do it.I don't want to reinstall operating systems, all I want is to get rid of XP(I also don't care about the files and programs I will lose, because I will save the information on CD disks and flash drives.However if that's the only way then I will get my Windows disk and reinstall it.

I am not sure that formatting will fix the problem and remove XP and it's components but if that's the way then I will do it.

Edited by Defacer, 29 October 2011 - 03:59 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Defacer and :)
Yes you can format an individual partition but always back up the other partition as a precaution.
Right click on the drive you wish to format and then choose the format option, you can then rename the second partition if you like, don`t forget to change your boot sequence if you don`t rename it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Be careful because what you are trying to do is going to get rid of the first OS which should be on the boot portion of the partition.
The 2nd OS by your own admission was added to a second partition you made. Phill you may want to double check that to make sure.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for pointing that out Ron I should have elaborated :)
If the first partition is large enough W7 could also be moved to it using Norton Ghost http://us.norton.com/ghost/ or
Clonezilla http://clonezilla.org/

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 29 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.