Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing windows xp and i dont know what to do about partitions

• Please log in to reply

borneo

borneo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
im installing windows xp and i get to the point where te setup is asking me about the partitions. now i have 3 partitions.tis is how they look.
-: partition 1 [fat]
c:partition 2 unknown
f: partition 3 [fat32]
unpartitioned space.

what do i do?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo.

What operating system is on this computer at this time and what is the make and model of the computer please.

It maybe that you have a recovery partition, from which if the present O/S is XP you can reinstall using that.

rehan129

rehan129

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Here's what you do:
First is you need the Windows XP Installer. Before Installing: Make sure that your computer meets the system requirements of Windows XP. Ensure that you have the Windows XP product key.
Next you have to enter BIOS. To enter BIOS in most cases pressing DEL key will on system startup. Then select on CD-ROM as primary boot device. Insert thw Windows XP installation disc and reboot. When prompted to "Press any key to boot from CD", hit on any key.
At the "Welcome to Setup" screen. press ENTER to start Windows XP installation.

For further details click on the following link

http://www.techyv.co...tall-windows-xp

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
rehan129

borneo I think is already at the stage of running the installation CD. The question he is asking is what he should do, after SETUP has detected the partitions on his hard drive

My screenshot is the position he is at NOW
What he needs to do NOW is VERY dependant on what setup he has at this time.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 30 October 2011 - 01:31 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
borneo

Are you making any progress on this issue.
Would you kindly post, when you get chance, indicating if you still require help
Thank you