Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer ran 5 years no anti-virus protection!

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
So how are things running now?

Advertisements

Steadythisknife

Steadythisknife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
It appears to be pretty smooth. I think at this point I'm just going to need to install more RAM cause if more than a couple things are going at once its so slow. But overall the feedback is its running better than it has in years.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Use the Crucial system scanner tool to find the best recommended Ram for your system, no need to purchase from there, write down the details and shop around for the best deal http://www.crucial.c...ner/?click=true let us know what is suggested and we can also look for you.

Steadythisknife

Steadythisknife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Alright this is what it said I have going on:

Memory type: DDR PC3200, DDR (non-ECC)
Max Memory: 4GB
Currently Installed: 512MB
Total Memory SLots: 4
Available Memory Slots: 2

I have never really upgraded a computers RAM before so I don't know much about it.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Steadythisknife

Pleased to read that things went well.
I am back from my three days abscence.
If you look at the Crucial site there is a guide to replacing ram.
http://www.crucial.c...stall/dimm.aspx

However basically the way to go about it is this
1. Disconnect all leads and cables from the desktop.

2. Working on a non carpeted surface, the kitchen breakfast bar or any hard surface is ideal, open the case of the computer., normally two thumb-screws or x headed screws securing a side of the case to the rear plate of the computer, normally it will be the two on the left of the tower as you view from the front.

3. Take hold of the bare metal of the case with both hands to discharge any static in your body. NOTE the bear metal inside of the case not the outisde surface.

4. Release the two securing clips, each end of the stick of ram - or both sticks if you are replacing both. NOTE in your case you have two 256Mb sticks of ram in each of two slots.. You could keep these and add two 1gb sticks to each of two slots and this would provide 2.5Gb in total. HOWEVER as you have four slots it is more than likely dual channel then the ram should be balanced in both channels, therefore you would have a 1Gb and a 256Mb in one channel and the same in the other.

5. Gently remove the ram, taking hold ONLY of the edges of the sticks, not the actual components on the stick of ram., as you remove the stick check carefully the orientation of the slot on the base of the stick, then you will know which way to insert the new stick.

6. Again take hold of the case with both hands, to again ensure you have discharged static.

7. Open the package of the new ram - the anti-static package. Place the new ram on the packagaing the correct way for you to insert it.

8. Again discharge your body.

9. Insert the new ram stick, gently pushing down on the top edge of the stick both clips will ease into place on the edge of the ram, but check that they have located.

10. Repeat 6, 7, 8 and 9 with the other stick.

You may think this procedure is a little OTT. Please be assured that it is not. Failing to discharge static in your body can easily dmage the ram, especially if you touch the wrong place on the stick.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 01 February 2012 - 07:32 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Ram is always best when fitted in matching pairs http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231039 you could add 2GB now and then a further 2GB at a later date, XP however will not fully recognise all 4GB.

EDIT: Welcome back Malcolm, Fitting Ram instructions from you then :)

Edited by phillpower2, 05 November 2011 - 05:49 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Steadythisknife

Your last post on this thread was 5 Nov when you asked for advice on installing the ram.

On my post 20, dated 5 Nov. I provided reasonably comprehensive advice on how to do this.

You have not responded

This is particularly disappointing, in view of my post 2 on this thread, pointing out your previous lack of response on other threads of yours and your acknowledgement of that in your reply on post 3.

If however, you have again been prevented from replying by pressure of business etc., then may I ask that you do respond when you get chance.

Thank you

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 November 2011 - 11:14 AM.

Steadythisknife

Steadythisknife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ay, I am such a slacker. Yes my work keeps me occupied weekdays, and by the time weekends come I'm so exhausted and trying to catch up on the things I need to get done, some things slip through the cracks. If it wasn't for email notification I would have forgot completely, so again I apologize!

Well aftering following all the above steps, the computer is running probably as good as can be considering the lack of memory it has. At this point I just need to order the ram that was posted above. I am hoping to get it soon.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
I may be able to speed it up a bit more for you if you want.

Download CCLEANER the link below:

http://www.piriform....leaner/download

Just DONT us the registry cleaner function of CCleaner unless you know what you are deleting exactly!!

Then open ccleaner hit the tools button then startup second one down below uninstall then in the bottom right hand corner of ccleaner hit save to text file.Save it to your desktop and post the startup.txt here in your next reply.Also hit start run then type msconfig then hit the services tab then hit put a check mark in hide microsoft services what is listed there,after hiding microsoft services?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks for posting, good luck with it.
Hope you find the guide I posted together with the link to the video guide helpful.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
rockmilk

May I suggest you read what HAS been done, before you post on the thread.

TFC by OldTimer has already been run., together with other measures to make the computer run smoother.

The thread is, to all intents and purposes effectively dealt with, apart from the question of the ram.
You may have seen this

But overall the feedback is its running better than it has in years.

You know that GeekstoGo no longer recommends CCleaner, preferring instead TFC by Old Timer.

I appreciate that you did advise re the registry cleaner function. However HOW is the person to whom you post this program, expected to decide if they KNOW or do NOT know, what they are doing. Very often, people believe they DO know, not out of rashness, but with a genuine belief that they are sure of what they are doing.

There is, as you know, no quicker way of ruining a system than the use of a registry cleaner.

That is WHY we no longer recommend the suggestion of CCleaner.

Steadythisknife

The decision is of course yours. It is your computer.
My recommendation is, if you are happy that matters are improved, which I feel reasonably certain from your previous post that you are, then do NOT use CCleaner.
Wait until you have installed the additional ram and then post if you are NOT content with the performance.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 November 2011 - 12:17 PM.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
@Macboatmaster

The startup of the computer was never adressed and there may be services running from who knows how many programs that is why I posted what I did and yes I did read before I posted.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
rockmilk

I posted to hopefully stop Steadythisknife from running CCleaner.
If you wish to discuss the issue please do so by PM.

Steadythisknife

Steadythisknife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks guys. I did not run CCleaner, but certainly appreciate the input, Rockmilk.

Now considering the point I am at with this computer, and the unknowingness of when I will aquire the ram needed, was there any other replies or responses I need to give from this point on?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I am going to add a couple comments here.

CCleaner happens to be one of my favorite programs, and its feature to dump the startup programs into an easy to read txt file is, by far, superior to Autoruns. Proper warnings against using the Registry cleaner portion were posted, and that is good. However, I note that Autoruns was run as suggested by phillpower, so startup was addressed.

I note Steadythisknife stated the computer is running good, so running CCleaner now for its startup list feature is an untimely suggestion - not needed at this time.

@Steadythisknife - While CCleaner is one of my favorite programs, I NEVER run any Registry cleaner to "fix" a broken computer. Nor do I use it to "optimize" a computer, as many registry cleaners claim to do. The ability of these programs to optimize performance is "marketing fluff". There has been NO empirical data from any real review or testing facility to show that is true.

I use CCleaner's Registry cleaner mainly because my computer use requires me to frequently install and uninstall programs and hardware - something most users DON'T do. So I run it simply to "tidy" up the Registry of a computer that is already running just fine. And in EVERY case, I always backup the Registry before making any changes - just in case.

While CCleaner's Registry cleaner is probably the least aggressive (my reason for accepting it), any time you, or any program messes with the Registry, the potential for catastrophic damage is real - and often impossible to recover from. For this reason, the general consensus when providing advice here at G2G and most other tech support sites is to not use Registry cleaners at all.

With that in mind, CCleaner is a great disk clutter cleaner and I recommend it that purpose. What TFC and Windows' own Disk Cleaner cannot do is mark cookies you want to keep - such as those to G2G that let you log in automatically.

[quotename='Steadythisknife']Now considering the point I am at with this computer, and the unknowingness of when I will aquire the ram needed, was there any other replies or responses I need to give from this point on?[/quote]I think you are good to go. Just remember that in terms of security, you, the user, are always the weakest link.

Also, a comment was made that RAM is always best when fitted in matching pairs. That depends on the architecture of the motherboard. While most motherboards in the last several years support "dual-channel" architecture, there are many that support "triple-channel" architecture. And in those cases, RAM needs to be installing in triples to take advantage of any performance gains that architecture provides. Unless I missed it, we have not seen any system specifications posted here.