Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost database

• Please log in to reply

jerryl

jerryl

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi all,
I have a website: cashblog-n.com that went offline some time ago. It was after I tried unsuccessfully to upgrade Wordpress, and my host upgraded their servers (not sure which one did it.)
I was using a plugin to upgrade Wordpress, and have several zipped backups for the site.
My hosts support people say they cannot open the zipped files and they won't work for recovering my website. they had a backup themselves and say it won't work either.
My question is...does anyone want to take a look at one of my zipped files and see if the website could be saved?
I had the website for quite a few years, and had quite a number of posts.
I'm somewhat technically challenged when it comes to c-panel, and messing with the files ect.
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!!!
Jerry

Advertisements

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
I would think that you could unzip the main site files into its own folder, then use FTP (free FileZilla) to upload all folders and files as you had originally set up as the directory structure. Windows has a native ZIP Utility or you can use free 7-ZIP. If you still can log into your cPanel, then you can use FTP to log into the server to upload the site files under the root directory (public_html).

jerryl

jerryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi,
Yeah I just tried to unzip, and Cam-Zip couldn't do it.
Could someone who knows more than me take a look at the zipped file and figure out the problem perhaps?
I tried to upload but the file is too big, I guess.
I'll try the advanced uploader...Um I'm not sure where the advanced uploader is as that link seems to take me to my settings page.
Thanks again for any and all responses

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
What zip format is it in. 7-Zip usually can unzip all types. Others may not be able to unzip the type you have. How large is the file? Small enough to upload to SendSpace.com or equivalent?

jerryl

jerryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I looked and it said it's an (.ink) zip I think.
I downloaded several unzip programs and I think I got it unzipped.
Now I wonder how to upload and restore it.
I have some experience with FileZilla, but just enough to be dangerous :yes:
I'm thinking about just giving up on it :)
The site wasn't that great, but did have a few hundred posts.
It was my very first site tho...

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Might help:

FileZilla FTP Tutorial - How to Upload Your Site with FileZilla

In this tutorial you learn how to upload your website using FileZilla, the popular free FTP application. FileZilla is available for Windows, Mac and Linux.

Read the full article here:

http://www.elated.co...zilla-tutorial/

Homepage of FileZilla: http://filezilla-project.org/

FTP and CHMOD Tutorial: http://www.phpjunkya...od-tutorial.php

You'll need the same UserName and Password as you use to log into your cPanel. FileZilla uses FTP port 21 by default.

jerryl

jerryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
thanks for your help astranut

Edited by jerryl, 04 November 2011 - 07:41 PM.

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
I hope I did help a little bit. Have a great weekend.