Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

error msg: Disk Drive C unreadable HELP PLS :(

• Please log in to reply

love2teach956

love2teach956

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Yes it says Inspiron 1750. Her dad bought it for Xmas 2009. if that helps.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I was unable to connect to dell's site yesterday but got to them this morning...
to order it ...they may ask for a service tag number,,,it on the bottom of the laptop
Dell Inspiron 1750. Model: P04E Dell part number 3NFRY for $10.99
go to
[email protected] or via phone at 1-800-289-3355 ext. 7284516

love2teach956

love2teach956

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Sorry, was sick for a bit. Better now..So I went to that website but don't specifically know what I'm looking for. I thought I was looking for something like download Recovery Discs. There's nothing like that on the page. What specifically am I looking for? I'd rather try to page before calling in to Dell. thanks

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
when you get to the link a chat box will open...just type in your question like
I want to buy a recovery cd for my dell ( make and model)she/he will ask for the service tag # and then will get your billing and shipping address info
HERE

love2teach956

love2teach956

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
ok so I purchased the recovery data disc and it should arrive thursday or friday. once I install it on her computer, what do I do next?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
once you get the cd ...put it into the cd drive and it will install a fresh copy of the OS and the necessary drivers but make sure you check the device manager for any yellow ! or ? marks...
then get all the updates for windows before installing any other software...once that's done get a AV program like MSE to protect the system from malware...then install any software you need and after all that check windows updates once again

love2teach956

love2teach956

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I ordered the recovery disc and they've postponed ship date 3 times! So, I called today, read them the riot act and they said they were so backed up, but squeaky wheel gets the grease. They promised to ship mine this week with no more delays(even offered a refund, we'll see about that), so I'm hoping to get this all situated within two weeks. I'll keep you posted as to outcome so this can be finalized and "closed out" so to speak. :unsure:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
we'll be here...and thanks for the update... ;)

love2teach956

love2teach956

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
ok, so sorry to interrupt the Superbowl, lol, but I'm trying to install the disc they sent me. Now a window pops up that says Go online to get the latest updates to successfully install Windows. I know you said install the disc then update Windows and go from there, etc. but this disc Dell sent me won't let me complete the installation w/o doing some kind of update first. I can't find it on her computer. thx

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you get to the desktop...if so...
click on start...all programs...up by the top click on windows updates...

Advertisements

love2teach956

love2teach956

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
ok so the windows update keeps failing as it always has, that's why we figured recovery disc needed. so now disc won't load says i need to do windows update first. i tried twice today and it failed. so how can I load the recovery disc? :(

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you are not booting from the cd...look in the lower part of the screen when you first power up the computer...it will say something like pressF10 to get to boot menu...press whatever it says...select the cd drive (optical)...then press enter...when you are doing this the recovery cd must be in the cd drive

love2teach956

love2teach956

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
got it, now when it's going thru the steps it asks for two choices, the top one says upgrade, the bottom says, custom Advanced. Since upgrade was highlighted I chose it. Now I get a screen that says The computer started using the Windows installation disc. Remove the installation disc and restart you computer so taht Windows starts normally. The, insert the disc and restart the upgrade. Don't select "Custom advanced" to perform an upgrade. Custom installs a new copy of Windows and deletes your programs and settings.
I already started Windows and put in disc to restart and it wouldn't let me, it said I had to have the updates done first. What am I doing wrong?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what you wanted is...Custom...it installs a new copy of Windows and deletes your programs and settings..
that was our goal...try booting from the cd and try again using the custom option...if it doesn't work we will have to format the hard drive and start all over using the custom option

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what you wanted is...Custom...it installs a new copy of Windows and deletes your programs and settings..
that was our goal...try booting from the cd and try again using the custom option...if it doesn't work we will have to format the hard drive and start all over using the custom option