Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Creating an NTFS Partition for Windows 7 install

• Please log in to reply

tunasalad27

tunasalad27

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I recently purchased the Windows 7 OEM version and tried to install it today, but it says I need a "NTFS" partition. How do I go about creating a NTFS partition? I am running Ubuntu right now also. If anybody can guide me through this I'd very much appreciate it.

Advertisements

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Which version of Ubuntu? This guide may be helpful, but it is a little outdated: http://www.ehow.com/...ion-ubuntu.html

EDIT: Ignore that, I didn't know that EASEUS Partition Master worked with Ubuntu. Follow Digerati's instructions

Edited by ZaRMan, 02 November 2011 - 06:52 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
If your current drive only has one partition for the whole drive, and you want to install Windows 7 and keep Ubuntu on it too, you will need to use partitioning software to split your current drive into two or more partitions. I use EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition – formally Partition Magic. This is free for home, non-commercial use.

Once you have two partitions, when installing Windows 7, you will be given the option to format the partition using the NTFS file system. Just make sure you select the correct partition or you will wipe out Ubuntu.

If you just want Windows 7 on the drive, then during the installation of Windows 7, you can format the whole drive first, then install Windows.

tunasalad27

tunasalad27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

If your current drive only has one partition for the whole drive, and you want to install Windows 7 and keep Ubuntu on it too, you will need to use partitioning software to split your current drive into two or more partitions. I use EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition – formally Partition Magic. This is free for home, non-commercial use.

Once you have two partitions, when installing Windows 7, you will be given the option to format the partition using the NTFS file system. Just make sure you select the correct partition or you will wipe out Ubuntu.

If you just want Windows 7 on the drive, then during the installation of Windows 7, you can format the whole drive first, then install Windows.

I have 2 parititions, a 316gb and 4gb for Ubuntu. I've tried repeatedly and the Windows installation disc will not let me format these two partitions. The drive is brand new and pretty much bare, so should I try deleting the Ubuntu partition?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I am sure this has to do with Grub messing with your boot sector. See if this helps: http://www.geekstogo...ost__p__2077183

tunasalad27

tunasalad27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I am sure this has to do with Grub messing with your boot sector. See if this helps: http://www.geekstogo...ost__p__2077183

I deleted the two partitions and typed in Fixmbr and fixboot in the command prompt. The Fixmbr was successful, however the fixboot said "element not found." When I tried to install windows 7 on the 296gb partition it said I need to check to see if the disk controller in BIOS menu was enabled. Checked the BIOS menu and I'm not sure what that means. Thank you for the help btw.

Edited by tunasalad27, 02 November 2011 - 10:03 AM.

tunasalad27

tunasalad27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Got it working! Apparently it was my BIOS boot order. It was 1.) disc drive 2.) external drive 3.) and network. Changed it to 1.) disc drive 2.) hard drive 3) network and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the help!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Great! Glad you got it going. Thanks for the followup.