Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen Resolution- post-PC crash

• Please log in to reply

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Tell you what Mary, instead of starting a new thread let's see if I can help here. If not then post in the Games forum and link back to this thread...ok?

To find your Model# look on the tower (computer box), it should be displayed on the case somewhere.

Below is a link that will give you an idea of what the Model # should look like. Let me know what you find.

Emachines Model #'s

You may also be able to find the Model# by clicking Start and right clicking on Computer and choosing Properties and in the window that pops up look under System.

Questions if I may:

Have you tried to play the game directly from the CD without installing it? Does it play?

What is the game that won't reload?

I'm assuming the game was loaded on this machine before the crash? I only ask because some versions of OS's do not support certain games. Especially the Home Basic versions of OS's so if that game was installed before it should install now unless the tech downgraded your version from Home Premium to Home basic. I need the Model# to see what version of OS came on that eMachine when purchased.

The name of the game can help determine if Vista Home Basic is supported.

What error or information is provided when you try to install the game? Anything?

:)

Advertisements

Mary Miller

Mary Miller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Tell you what Mary, instead of starting a new thread let's see if I can help here. If not then post in the Games forum and link back to this thread...ok?

To find your Model# look on the tower (computer box), it should be displayed on the case somewhere.

Below is a link that will give you an idea of what the Model # should look like. Let me know what you find.

Emachines Model #'s

You may also be able to find the Model# by clicking Start and right clicking on Computer and choosing Properties and in the window that pops up look under System.

Questions if I may:

Have you tried to play the game directly from the CD without installing it? Does it play?

What is the game that won't reload?

I'm assuming the game was loaded on this machine before the crash? I only ask because some versions of OS's do not support certain games. Especially the Home Basic versions of OS's so if that game was installed before it should install now unless the tech downgraded your version from Home Premium to Home basic. I need the Model# to see what version of OS came on that eMachine when purchased.

The name of the game can help determine if Vista Home Basic is supported.

What error or information is provided when you try to install the game? Anything?

:)

ok, the Model # T364
I bought the game from BigFish, couple of years ago, so yeah I've played it all along. It's called Cradle of Rome. They have record of my purchase that has a link to reload it if you need too. I got it directly from them, and didn't get a CD. So I go to reload and they have a game manager that you open first. Clicked download, it asks for permission to run the game and I click Run and that's it, nothing else happens. I get no error message or number. And still waiting to hear from Customer Support.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

Hit the windows key and pause at the same time,a screen will appear click on device manager are there any yellow questions mark next to anything?
If so what are they, and what is the exact make and model of your computer.
Sounds to me like you had someone reformat your machine, and you need the drivers correct.

Mary,

Follow the advice of rockmilk. Let us know what you find.

@ rockmilk...thank you! :)

Mary Miller

Mary Miller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hit the windows key and pause at the same time,a screen will appear click on device manager are there any yellow questions mark next to anything?
If so what are they, and what is the exact make and model of your computer.
Sounds to me like you had someone reformat your machine, and you need the drivers correct.

Hi rockmilk,

There's a yellow ? next to PCI Simple Communication

Make: emachines
Model: T3646

yes I couldn't start it up, well only under SafeMode, and it wouldn't go online. It had crashed my Chrome browser while playing a game, which is what I do alot of. Took it to get fixed. He said he had to re-formulate(?) the hard drive and reinstall windows. I also had to replace the Modum. He seemed to think it was a virus. I think maybe, cause the last thing I saw was written on the blue screen .."He's dead, Jim" I remember that distincly as odd, lol. Wanted to share that with someone ever since who might see the humor in it. Now I have some strange virus program on here that seems suspect called Microsoft Security Essentials saying Computer Status Protected. Is this a virus program like AVG or Norton? I'm not sure if I'm protected. And it could be blocking certain things from loading. Do you think? Anyway, too much information but I sure appreciate talking to you, Mary

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Here is a link to your drivers http://support.gatew...=1&modelId=1586
Download the vga driver and save it to your desktop then hit windows key and pause at the same time uninstall your video driver reboot your machine then run the vga file saved to your desktop and see if this helps you.
Microsoft Security Essentials is an antivirus like avg and norton but is far less troublesome than both yes it is legit.
http://windows.micro...rity-essentials

As far as the PCI Simple Communication check windows update 9 times out of ten updates will install PCI Simple Communication if you let it.
http://www.update.mi...n&&thankspage=5

Edited by rockmilk, 05 November 2011 - 02:59 PM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
If I may jump back in here for a moment!

He seemed to think it was a virus. I think maybe, cause the last thing I saw was written on the blue screen .."He's dead, Jim" I remember that distincly as odd, lol. Wanted to share that with someone ever since who might see the humor in it. Now I have some strange virus program on here that seems suspect called Microsoft Security Essentials saying Computer Status Protected.

:yes: Made me laugh. I don't use Chrome and it seems someone at Google has developed a sense of humor or is a diehard Star Trek fan.

You can read all about "He's dead, Jim" and Chrome's New Sad Tab Page on the blogspot page.

You could have had a virus. Most tech shops will perform a complete reformat and reinstall as opposed to cleansing the system. It can be time consuming.

Anyway, too much information but I sure appreciate talking to you, Mary

Mary....never too much information. Most people don't supply enough info and we have to ask for it. Thank you for elaborating to the extent.

Microsoft Security Essentials is a great program in my opinion.

After rockmilk gets you going, please take some time to read the 4 links I am providing for you on how to prevent re-infection. Very educational!

How to Prevent Malware
Preventing Malware and Safe Computing
"So how did I get infected in the first place?" © Tony Klein
Basic Computer Security for the Home User

Jumping back out! :)

Mary Miller

Mary Miller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Here is a link to your drivers http://support.gatew...=1&modelId=1586
Download the vga driver and save it to your desktop then hit windows key and pause at the same time uninstall your video driver reboot your machine then run the vga file saved to your desktop and see if this helps you.
Microsoft Security Essentials is an antivirus like avg and norton but is far less troublesome than both yes it is legit.
http://windows.micro...rity-essentials

As far as the PCI Simple Communication check windows update 9 times out of ten updates will install PCI Simple Communication if you let it.
http://www.update.mi...n&&thankspage=5

I downloaded the vga how you said. It works now, however I did use IExplorer rather than chrome this time. Good to know about Micro. Security Essentials. I don't know what the last part means really, except that I should allow the machine to download the updates which I had turned off,
Sure appreciate your help, it is fun to learn new things,
Mary

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Mary,

except that I should allow the machine to download the updates which I had turned off,

Please turn your Automatic updates back on if you haven't already. Anytime you have updates allow time for your computer to do so. This is very important to help prevent re-infection!

Anytime that you need help, have a problem or just want to learn something, we're just a click away! :)

Happy and safe surfing!

Donna :yes:

Mary Miller

Mary Miller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi Donna,
that is just so strange and funny! Glad to know I wasn't hallucinating. It flashed really quick. My game is now installed properly, thanks to you and rockmilk! I will read those things also. :yes: :)

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Glad to have helped. :)

Advertisements