Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Device Not Recognized

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

I have Windows7 64 bit running on a DIY PC. Every year, about January or February, I refresh my machine with a new install of Windows. This year, I did it early (about two weeks ago) because I relocated my office.

I have a Thermaltake Blacx external HD doc connected via USB. On my previous setup, I could drop a hard drive in this doc, power it up, and the drive would load as a removable storage device. Now, however, on the new load of Windows (same OS I was running before I might add), Windows says "USB Device Not Recognized" when I turn on the box. I've tried various HDs and they all do the same thing. I plugged one of those HDs internally and Windows picked up on it and everything was fine.

Same happens when I plug in my cell phone, an EVO 4G, which also didn't give me any problems before.

The best I could come up with during research was to unplug the PC and reboot. Didn't work.

I just can't figure this one out. Have any of you had this issue?

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Check this out,

After you install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1), binary files in some USB drivers are not updated. For example, the Usbport.sys, Usbehci.sys, and Winusb.sys binary files are not updated.

See link for additional information:

http://support.micro....com/kb/2529073

Might be worth a look.

And This

http://www.sevenforu...recognized.html

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
zep516...

Thanks for the information. I tried your step 1 by downloading the Windows update but it said it was already applied. In your step 2, I checked the power settings for my USB Hub - labeled "Generic USB Hub".

On the MB CD, I have drivers for the Northbridge but not the Southbridge. I think USB runs off the Southbridge so I doubt installing that will help. It's an ASUS AMD board. I put off installing those Northbridge drivers for two reasons - 1) I didn't have them installed before (to my recollection anyway) and 2) It's forcing me to install that Catalyst software to get the drivers on the system and I'm not a fan of the Catalyst software.

I think, now that I'm really going back on this, I'm realizing that only one thing has changed since my last install. I have four USB ports on the front of the case and only had two of them hooked up last time. This time, before refreshing the system, I hooked up all four USB ports from the front of the case. It should be noted, though, that although I have plugged devices into these ports and can verify they are in fact working, I don't have anything plugged into them when my external HD dock is giving me this message.

I suppose, for troubleshooting purposes, I could disconnect the second pair of the four USB ports as I had them before (though I doubt that will fix anything) and could install the Northbridge drivers but again, I thought those controlled data from RAM to processor, not the slow stuff like USB devices.

What's your take?

Thanks,

Magus

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

I suppose, for troubleshooting purposes, I could disconnect the second pair of the four USB ports as I had them before (though I doubt that will fix anything) and could install the Northbridge drivers but again, I thought those controlled data from RAM to processor, not the slow stuff like USB devices.

For troubleshooting purposes I would give it a shot, not sure what else to recommend yet. With the additional information you just posted someone else may recognize a problem that we don't see yet. I can do a little more research on it for you too.