Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

remote desktop access unable to uncheck box

• Please log in to reply

maree1604

maree1604

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but i have a question about remote access at work.
Up until a few months ago i was able to go into the control panel and choose whether or not i wanted to have our computer guy log into my computer without me knowing now we are unable to uncheck that box, it's all faded out.
And now we've had a warning that the internet is being 'monitored'
Is there anything to do the change the remote option or are weonly able to do it via the server?
print screen picture

Thanks

Edited by maree1604, 07 November 2011 - 09:20 AM.

Advertisements

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts
Hello Maree1604,

That option is most likely greyed out because of a group policy set by the network administrator and it would have to be changed by the network administrator.

I use remote desktop all the time, and I can tell you that only one user can have control at a time. You would know that your computer guy is into your machine because it would lock your computer and you would have to use crtl+alt+del to unlock it. Remote desktop does not let your employer monitor your computer usage, but there are many other programs out there that can.

I use Remote Desktop all the time to fix issues on machines in another part of our building, or at our other company several hours away, and I usually give them a call and tell them that I am doing so, as not to scare them.

A work computer is usually company property, and the company has the right to restrict or even monitor your usage as they see fit. If your employer has a usage policy, it would be a good idea to adhere to that policy, I would not want to see you get into any trouble!
:)

MrGeek

MrGeek

• Pip
  • 4 posts

That option is most likely greyed out because of a group policy set by the network administrator and it would have to be changed by the network administrator.

Hi Maree1604,

I am the network administrator at my job, I can (almost) definitely say that this is what happened. Pretty much every thing that Crowbar said above is correct.

Of course, every company is different in the lengths they go to monitor their employees. While we do actively monitor what employees do, I personally don't care what anybody does, as long as they don't visit a shady site and get their machine's infected. Some of my coworkers would love to block many of the local news sites and facebook and reddit and all the other sites that people like to visit, but I think they should all be allowed to visit those sites. The way I see it, if your employee is meeting their deadlines, coming up with ideas to move the company forward and/or not screwing anything up.. then I don't see what the big deal is. Unfortunately, not all employers feel the same way.

As Crowbar said, try to avoid any sites that may or may not alert your network administrator. Good luck to you.

~MrGeek