Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista - multiple BSODs

• Please log in to reply

Shoonka

Shoonka

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello all,

I've been trying to fix/figure out why my computer has been crashing so much lately...I'd really appreciate some help in diagnosing these problems

System:
Vista Home Premium 32 bit SP3
HP Pavillion Media Center m8100n (4 years old)
upgraded video card - nVidia GeForce 8600
new power supply (not sure make/type)

Problems:
-frequent BSODs relating to tcpip.sys, Driver IRQL not less or equal, page fault in nonpaged area
-frequent boot errors (computer doesn't boot at all - beeps - short...loooooooonnnng...then repeats
-BIOS error - "system fan has failed, restart to prevent damage to PC"

What I've tried:
-defrag, disk cleanup, downloaded and installed every possible driver update I could find from both windows and nVidia
-download/installed; ad-aware, pc malwarebytes, super-anti spyware, spybot search and destroy...whenever I try to do a full scan with any of these programs, it ALWAYS results in a BSOD before finishing.
-cleaning my computer's innards...fans, compressed air dusting...removed and reseated fans/power supply/graphics card

*attached are all the dump files I

Attached Files

Edited by Shoonka, 09 November 2011 - 01:57 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

It is not really bad language but this is a family site and we like to keep it all suitable for all users

c--p out on you all the time

Edit out please.
Thank you

To deal with the actual problem.
Was the computer in desperate need of a clean, especially the CPU fan and the cooling fins of the CPU presuming that it is air cooled.?

If so the damage may have already been done.

You say that it is a new power supply - as you do not know the make or type, may I presume that you did not fit it and if so who did please, when and WHY?
When I ask who, I mean not by name, but was this a friend or a professional repair

Were there problems BEFORE the new graphics card was added - the GeForce 8600

Finally if you can get a boot and download this please do so click the analyse tab, scroll down for the results and copy and paste the actual results please, not in a file which I have to open.
http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

That graphics card requires a PSU of 350 watt MINIMUM
A: GeForce 8600 GTS requires a minimum 350W or greater system power supply for a single card
Whether yours is the GT or the GTS the requirement is the same.
More to the point, it must be capable of delivering 22amps on the 12 volt rail

Minimum power supply requirement for the 8600GT = Minimum of a 350 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 22 Amp Amps.)
You need to check, the rating label on the PSU

That computer was supplied with integrated graphics Please connect to those on the I/O plate.
This will eliminate the possibility of a problem with the card and the PSU question.
The link below is the specification of your computer - as when sold.
http://www.shopping....et/gc673aa.html

Thanks.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 08 November 2011 - 12:27 PM.

Shoonka

Shoonka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you kindly for your suggestions and advice.

The fans were quite filthy. I cleaned them with wetted q-tips. As for the power supply itself, it was installed my a professional - a friend who works in the IT dept of my local school district in which I teach. The PS is:

Thermaltake TR2-430 NL1NH

And no, there were no problems before the new graphics card. I had the new graphics card put in 3 years ago and there have never been problems with my computer until quite recently.

And, the factory PS stopped functioning, that is the reason I had a new, more powerful unit installed.

Edited by Shoonka, 09 November 2011 - 02:44 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
So are you going to send me the results of the Who Crashed then please.

Shoonka

Shoonka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I downloaded the program, but can't get my computer to boot at all, whatsoever...so the only way to see the dump files are through the previous zip file I attached. Thanks anyway for your help.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If the computer will not even boot, then although I can examine your logs that you attached in your first post, it will not take us very far.
When you posted the computer presumably was booting - WAS IT please?

Will it NOW not even post - that is the first screen.

When you power on - what happens please?

Are there error beeps, do the fans spin, is there anything displayed on the screen.

Please remember that ALL I have to work with is what you tell me.

Thanks.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 November 2011 - 01:03 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above I have examined your dump files

On Mon 07/11/2011 18:29:38 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\minidump files\Mini110711-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0x19FFF)
Bugcheck code: 0x24 (0x1904AA, 0xFFFFFFFFAF051A58, 0xFFFFFFFFAF051754, 0xFFFFFFFF826CFA3E)
Error: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT File System Driver
Bug check description: This indicates a problem occurred in the NTFS file system.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 06/11/2011 17:17:55 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\minidump files\Mini110711-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: tcpip.sys (tcpip+0x6DF09)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x294BA, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF8A67AF09)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
description: TCP/IP Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 06/11/2011 17:06:28 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\minidump files\Mini110611-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0xCDB3F)
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x8D, 0x75581, 0x510010, 0xFFFFFFFFC00289E1)
Error: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupted.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 04/11/2011 19:43:54 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\minidump files\Mini110411-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: msrpc.sys (msrpc+0xE068)
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFFFFFB603A000, 0xFFFFFFFFB603A028, 0xA050600)
Error: BAD_POOL_HEADER
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\msrpc.sys
description: Kernel Remote Procedure Call Provider
Bug check description: This indicates that a pool header is corrupt.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.

On Thu 03/11/2011 07:23:26 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\minidump files\Mini110311-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0xCDB3F)
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFFFFFBAE7D840, 0xFFFFFFFFBAE7DA60, 0xA440020)
Error: BAD_POOL_HEADER
Bug check description: This indicates that a pool header is corrupt.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 02/11/2011 14:43:17 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\minidump files\Mini110211-03.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0x2563DE)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF8286D3DE, 0xFFFFFFFF8B8178D7, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Wed 02/11/2011 13:19:05 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\minidump files\Mini110211-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0x125D6)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFFFFAC301FF4, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF826CAC7D, 0x2)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
description: NT File System Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.

On Mon 31/10/2011 16:26:45 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\minidump files\Mini110211-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: symevent.sys (SYMEVENT+0x13316)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFFFFCCCCCCD4, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF94D46316, 0x0)
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: symevent.sys .
Google query: symevent.sys PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

On Fri 28/10/2011 18:24:37 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\minidump files\Mini103111-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ecache.sys (ecache+0xD610)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC000001D, 0xFFFFFFFF82682F77, 0xFFFFFFFF8B51FB68, 0xFFFFFFFF8B51F864)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ecache.sys
description: Special Memory Device Cache
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

On Wed 26/10/2011 23:39:14 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\minidump files\Mini102611-03.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0x27CA6)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF8266CCA6, 0xFFFFFFFF95905CC0, 0x0)
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

On Wed 26/10/2011 15:28:06 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\minidump files\Mini102611-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: symevent.sys (SYMEVENT+0x141C9)
Bugcheck code: 0xC2 (0x7, 0x110B, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF9C371B58)
Error: BAD_POOL_CALLER
Bug check description: This indicates that the current thread is making a bad pool request.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: symevent.sys .
Google query: symevent.sys BAD_POOL_CALLER

On Wed 26/10/2011 14:59:57 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\minidump files\Mini102611-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0x98379)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFFFFD8999CEB, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF8264AC7D, 0x2)

On Fri 07/10/2011 01:28:03 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\minidump files\Mini100711-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0x255D1C)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF82874D1C, 0xFFFFFFFF94CC9918, 0x0)

On Tue 09/08/2011 00:39:59 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\minidump files\Mini080811-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: srtsp.sys (SRTSP+0x1E8B0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF826FB010, 0xFFFFFFFFEF1EA65C, 0x0)
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: srtsp.sys .
Google query: srtsp.sys KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Tue 24/05/2011 09:00:20 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\minidump files\Mini052411-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0x4AFE7)
Bugcheck code: 0x1 (0xFFFFFFFF8288C478, 0x0, 0xFFFF, 0x0)
Error: APC_INDEX_MISMATCH
Bug check description: This indicates that there has been a mismatch in the APC state index.

Conclusion
20 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 15 are included in this report. 3 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer.

srtsp.sys

symevent.sys

Those two items are part of Norton Security programs.
However as you know many crashes have occurred and as I said previously unless you can get a boot, albeit not to Windows, we are not able to progress further.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 11 November 2011 - 05:44 AM.

Shoonka

Shoonka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
If the computer will not even boot, then although I can examine your logs that you attached in your first post, it will not take us very far.
When you posted the computer presumably was booting - WAS IT please?

Will it NOW not even post - that is the first screen.

When you power on - what happens please?

Are there error beeps, do the fans spin, is there anything displayed on the screen.

Please remember that ALL I have to work with is what you tell me.

Thanks.

I wrote this post from my laptop...but yeah, it was booting at the time...in order to look at the make/model of my p/s, i had to take it out of the case, and that's when it stopped booting altogether.

After I power on, the normal first display comes up like it's about to start to boot, then it comes up with the message, "failed to boot, insert system CD" - the fan spins and there are no beeps.

Thanks for your help~

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Shoonka

There is no need to retype MY post, to save you time.
You only need to type your reply.

If you wish to highlight a particular point in my post, then you may quote it.
This is the 3rd symbol from the right on the second menu bar of the reply panel next to the envelope symbol.
highlight what you want to quote, right click copy. click the quote then paste between the two quote quote that appear.

However to deal with the issue in hand -
when you posted first and said

upgraded video card - nVidia GeForce 8600
new power supply (not sure make/type)

I took that to mean, although I now know that it was not the case, that the changes were RECENT. Clearly they were not, as you explained and I now know from your reply that the power supply and graphics were not at issue. It was therefore, and I appreciate this is now a little late, unnecessary to check the power supply.

It would have been appropriate for you to reply

I had the new graphics card put in 3 years ago and the power supply etc. and there have never been problems with my computer until quite recently.

and with the fact that the power supply was fitted by an IT professional etc.

HOWEVER this is of no help to you now and I apologise if you think I have in anyway given you bad advice in asking you to verify the power supply. I do not believe I have, as the situation appeared to anyone I think, as I have described - NEW - power supply and updated graphics. I appreciate that YOU have not made any suggestion of the fact that I gave bad advice - but I think it best to cover that issue NOW

Go to BIOS - immediately on first display - post screen keep tapping the key indicated, normally F2 to enter BIOS screen. It may not be F2 it may be delete or another key.
When you get to BIOS check if the HDD is shown, as recognised.

Also, as you appear to have actually removed the PSU check the power connection from the PSU to the Hard drive.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 11 November 2011 - 12:45 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
shoonka

Have you made any progress on this problem.
Would you kindly update the thread when you get chance.
Thank you

Shoonka

Shoonka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply as I don't have regular access to a working computer anymore. I appreciate all of your help and advice, but I took my computer to a repair center and am currently waiting to hear back from them. Thanks though for your time in the matter. Have a good day.