Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Jumbled colours,letters and numbers

• Please log in to reply

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
So i take it my PSU is classed as a 350W?

I will let you know what response i get from the manufacturer.

Advertisements

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Okay i have spoken to the manufacturer, have to say yet again they are very helpful.

The representative said that over time the readings from the PSU will drop and he said the pc has done well for 3 years with no replacement parts. He also said that the 350W PSU is enough to handle the 256mb graphics card. He said if i was to increase the graphics card then yes i would require a different PSU to handle it.

So really i have not resolved anything as i am being told the PSU is not big enough but the opposite from the manufacturer.

Edited by p71p, 11 November 2011 - 04:58 AM.

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Just found a graphics card (256mb) the same as the one i have. It does recommend a 400W PSU.

Really need help with this now. I want to buy a new PSU but i seriously have no idea what to buy. I would like one around 500W so i can then increase my graphics card to 512MB. The manufacturer told me to be careful what i buy so it is a concern.

Does every PSU fit every pc or do i need to search for something specific?

If anyone can point out a particular one to go for i can move forward in getting this sorted.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Well that doesn't sound good.

PSU is-

Enlight
Model GPS350ABC
AC input - Peak 350w, Rated 300W
DC output 285W Max

Just to add, on my graphics card it states 256mb and not 512mb as shown in the spec you listed, might not make a difference but thought i would add.

That does make a difference but the PSU is still 15W under powered!

Product Specifications
General
Brand: Nvidia
Item Height: 10 millimetres
Item Width: 10 millimetres
Additional Specifications
Wattage: 300 watts

Please refer to the above, the PSU details that you provided clearly state DC output 285W Max and the card details that I provided state Wattage: 300 watts the PSU is clearly 15W under power even if it is capable of working efficiently, couple that with the fact the variance ranges from between a peak of 350W and a low of 285W and you have a very untrustworthy power supply, compare the stable performance of the Corsair CX500 http://www.corsair.c...wer-supply.html which is available for £44.98 @ http://www.dabs.com/...tm_content=Q200

Does every PSU fit every pc or do i need to search for something specific?

No it depends on the size of the case, full desktop, mid tower or SFF (small form factor) commonly you will not have a problem with the full desktop and mid tower but you need to be careful with the SFF as they often have a smaller size PSU so with that in mind I recommend that you measure the present PSU and compare it to the dimensions of any potential purchase and check to see if there is any headroom in the case, you should do the same with any GFX card that you intend to purchase.

NB: Just a FYI, many PC providers use less expensive PSUs to keep build costs down and that is why when you have issues with a PC making sure that you have a PSU that is providing good, clean and stable power is the first check and for best performance the PSU should have a minimum 80% efficiency rating.

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Well i just fitted anew PSU, did the fantest and i seem to be getting the same readings?

Attached Thumbnails

• fantest3.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Well i just fitted anew PSU, did the fantest and i seem to be getting the same readings?

The differance now is you should be able to trust your new PSU so you know the Speedfan readings are off.
Couple of questions, what PSU did you purchase, have you reconnected your add on video card and if so how is it working?

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I got the enlight PSU, exactly the same as my old one. Just a stop gap until i upgrade.

I tried the graphics card and got the same problem so it must definatly be corrupt.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Yes that pretty well confirms that the card is bad, one of the bad things about faulty or underpowered PSUs is that they weaken other components over time because they are made to work harder and this is possibly what happened to your card.
Let us know when you plan on upgrading and what card you are considering and good luck.

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Looking at seasonic or corsair PSU, around 500W. No idea on the GC yet but probably looking to go from 256 to 512.

Thank you very much for all your help. I will update this thread when i have upgraded.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Both are an excellent choice of PSU (Seasonic make PSUs for Corsair amongst others)
As far as the GFX cards go I know you are not a gamer so do not need anything lightning fast but I would recommend spending the extra £3 to £4 on a 1GB video card http://www.novatech....icscards/?b=1,

Advertisements

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

I know this is an old post now but i still have this pc with the so called temporary Enlight PSU and runs great, little noisy now but still good.

Anyway at long last i am going to upgrade the PSU and looking to buy a Corsair CX500M, i know a lot of time has passed so i'm now wondering if these PSU's are still as good as what they were? 

Once i have the new PSU i am then going to buy a graphics card as i'm still running on my integrated video chip.

Any suggestions on a graphics card? i don't do gaming so no need for anything spectacular, just something compatible with the new PSU. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Welcome back p71p

If you tell us your maximum budget for the card and PSU we will see what we can find, Corsair is my preferred brand of PSU but other recommended brands include Antec, EVGA, OCZ, and Seasonic, please note that you pay extra for modular PSUs and so if you have a tight budget but plenty of room inside your case selecting a non modular PSU is a sensible option.

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Hello again phillpower2, only seems like yesterday since you last helped me.

To be honest i didn't even consider a budget. The corsair i was looking at was around £50, i have no idea what a graphics card would cost...is £100 too low? I don't want to spend a fortune on the pc but it would be good to upgrade with a couple of new parts to keep it running for a year or two more. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Do you happen to know what your Ram details are, amount and speed if you can please.

Saved you some cash on the PSU and put it towards a better video card if that is ok.

PSU

Video card

p71p

p71p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

I upgraded the ram a while back to 4GB, not sure how to find out the speed though.

PSU looks good, GC does too, as i don't know much about the cards, is this more than i need? Just don't do gaming that's all, what other benefits do you get from a better graphics card as opposed to using my integrated chip?