Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System upgrade

• Please log in to reply

KostasPAP

KostasPAP

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi,I would like to upgrade my cpu and because it doesn't match with motherboard,i will have to change both motherboard and ram...So i was thinking about spending 300 euros and take those items
CPU:INTEL CORE I5-2500K 3.30 GHZ LGA1155
MOBO:ASUS P8H67-M PRO REV3.0
RAM:KINGSTON KVR1333D3N9K2/8G 8GB (2X4GB) PC3-10600
I would like to learn if those items will deserve their money...my system specs now are
CPU:Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8 GHz
RAM:KINGSTON KHX1333C7D3K2/4GX DDR3 4GB (2X2GB) PC10666 1333MHZ HYPERX GENESIS
MOBO:ASUS P5QLD PRO
GPU:ATI RADEON HD 5750 1024 MB
Will i see big difference???

Thanks for your help

Edited by KostasPAP, 08 November 2011 - 01:58 PM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Will i see big difference???

Depends on the task but generally, with the better CPU and 8Gb of RAM, the general improvement should be significant.

However, a couple things. You may need a bigger PSU.

Also the motherboard is the heart and soul of a computer and as such, in terms of software licensing, a new motherboard constitutes a new computer. OEM software is tied to the "original equipment". Therefore, any OEM software that came with, or was purchased for the "old" computer/motherboard is tied to that old equipment. So, if your current Windows license is an OEM license that came with your old computer/motherboard, you MUST buy a new Windows license to be legal.

That said, since you are upgrading from 4Gb of RAM to 8Gb of RAM, to take advantage of the 8Gb of RAM, you need to use a 64-bit operating system. So if your current OS for your 4Gb system is 32-bit, you need to buy a new OS anyway.

Finally, on the ASUS motherboard's webpage, you should see two lists for compatible CPUs and RAM. Check those lists to ensure your CPU is listed. There are too many RAM makers and models for ASUS to test them all, so you can buy off the list. Just make sure the RAM you select has the same electrical specs as listed RAM.

KostasPAP

KostasPAP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
My PSU is 550 watt,I didn't understand the thing about OEM licence....My OS is 64-bit...I will check asus site

KostasPAP

KostasPAP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
The CPU match with mobo....Ram is DDR-3 but on mobo says DIMM DDR-3 what's DIMM...I haven't needed to change ram for many years and i never saw DIMM

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
DIMM is dual in-line memory module and it means how the RAM is configured. There are many types, including DDR, DDR2, and DDR3.

As for OEM, you said you already have the OS. Did it come with your old computer? If so, then it most likely is an OEM license and is tied to the "original equipment".

Look at the installation disk. If it has a PC brand (like Dell or HP) or says OEM on it, then it is tied to the old motherboard and cannot legally be used with this new motherboard.

If you bought it at a retail outlet, AND it is a full "Retail" license, then you can legally use it with this new motherboard. But note it most likely is OEM because OEM is cheaper, so that is usually what comes with computers.

550W is probably fine. So that is good.

KostasPAP

KostasPAP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I have a question can i use DDR-3 ram on DIMM DDR-3 mobo?
My pc was made by me from different parts that i chose....i have it from 1999 and i have changed everything almost twice
And OS i bought it this year...before i had windows XP

Edited by KostasPAP, 08 November 2011 - 02:13 PM.

KostasPAP

KostasPAP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Any answer??

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

can i use DDR-3 ram on DIMM DDR-3 mobo?

I already answered your question. DIMM DDR3 is the same thing as DDR3.

And OS i bought it this year...

But what matters is the type license you bought. OEM/System Builders or Retail. Look on the disk. If it says OEM or System Builders and you used that on another computer already, then you need to buy a new copy.