Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sharing internet from a wireless NIC to a router

• Please log in to reply

lordssb

lordssb

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK that title was distracting so here it goes..

I have a computer that recieves its internet connection with a linksys wireless NIC card. I also have a regular NIC in another PCI. I want to somehow configure my computer so I can plug my router into that second NIC and then plug in computers into the router so they can use the internet too.

What do I need to do?

Many people tell me I have to go to my internet connection, hit properties, then advanced tab and check the box of SHARE this internet connection.... well my computer doesnt give me that option (windows XP). the only option in that menu is regarding a firewall.

Please help.

thanks

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Why don't you just plug the other computers straight into the router that you are receiving the connection from? I also agree that you would have to enable Internet connection sharing in order to connect other pc's to your machine, I don't know if you can connect a router to it though. Maybe a switch.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
You can't enable ICS on a wireless card. I do wonder why you are recieving your internet connection on a wireless card and want to share? Do you not have access to the router that you are getting this internet connection from? The only thing that I can suggest, would be to do this slightly different, but you will almost indefinetly need to buy some equipment.

Option 1 - easy way, possibly more expensive:
Purchase wireless cards for all the machines that you want to connect. Or are you regulated to only one ip?

Option 2 - little more difficult, probably more expensive:
Purchase a wireless router and set it up as an access point, connect the WAN port to NIC 1 on the computer, then configure the IP settings for the adapter. You would then be able to enable ICS since the connection would be coming accross a wired NIC. Once ICS is enabled, the computer pretty much turns into a router on it's own, so I would recommend plugging the second NIC into one of the ports on the switch, then coming straight back out of it, into the other computers, if you have more than 4, then throw a regular switch in somewhere, no need for another router.

Hope this helps

Greazy Mcgeezy