Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Open Service *&(^*((* 1060 at start up

• Please log in to reply

bolt1963

bolt1963

• Pip
  • 7 posts
New computer less than 24 hours old. Used revouninstaller to remove Lenovo bloatware and installed Avast, SuperAntispware and Advanced System Care. Only things I recall doing. Getting the attached dialog box upon start up, hoping someone knows how to get rid of it? Also attached hijackthis file.

Thanks in advance.

Lenovo IdeaCenter
Intel i5-2310
8 GB RAM
Windows 7 - 64bit

Posted Image

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks to go !

I have never seen that error before and it does not define the service. From what I understand, from a search it's a missing service, maybe due to something you uninstalled. See link it's all I was able to find.

http://forum.worldst...ad.php?t=156271

I believe revouninstaller creates a restore point, I'd consider doing a System Restore and see if that resolves it.

bolt1963

bolt1963

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks zep. No system restore on the free version of Revo. But did do a system restore with windows from this morning. Couldn't go further back to yesterday afternoon?? Anyway, it restored the bloatware which is what I was hoping it was. But did not work. I had already found that thread you linked earlier this morning, didn't see a solution. I have 200+ errors and warnings in my event log for applications, but don't have a clue how to read it or what that means.

Attached Files

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Try using System File Checker,
System File Checker merely makes sure that all system files are where they should be. The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.
Open an Elevated Command Prompt window. To do so, click Start, then type cmd in the Start Search box. In the results area, right-click cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator. You will be prompted to type the password for an administrator account. Click Continue if you are the administrator or type the administrator password. Then, click Continue.

At the command prompt, type the following command, sfc /scannow and then press ENTER.

Posted Image
The scan may take some time to complete. Windows will repair any corrupted or missing files that it finds. If required, Windows may prompt you to insert the Operating System CD.

Good luck!

bolt1963

bolt1963

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks zep, but did not find any integrity problems. [bleep].

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hi,

What recovery disks did you get with this computer? Any at all?

What is the exact model# of this Lenovo IdeaCenter? There's probably a recovery partition you could access and do a recovery to factory settings. If you supply the model number we can give you instructions for that. I think that may be the best way to go here.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Open msconfig and disable all entries execpt these.
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast] "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\avastUI.exe" /nogui
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Advanced SystemCare 4] C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 4\ASCTray.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [jmekey] C:\windows\jmesoft\hotkey.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [jmesoft] C:\Windows\jmesoft\ServiceLoader.exe

Although if it were my machine I would disable this one as well.Windows defender is better than iobit and that isnt saying much!
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Advanced SystemCare 4] C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 4\ASCTray.exe

You will need to reboot your machine for changes to take effect.

bolt1963

bolt1963

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks zep. There is a Lenovo Rescue System installed. Went ahead and did that, easy enough.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Ok. I was going to post the following link but I see you found the proper shortcut key to return your system back to factory settings.

http://forums.lenovo...ult/ta-p/575279

Do not use Revo to uninstall the crapware that came with your computer. PC Decrapifier is a much better program and is for that purpose. See link below.

http://pcdecrapifier.com/download

Advanced System Care is not a program that I would recommend to anyone. It does include a registry cleaner that we do not advise to use because they tend to remove good registry entries. I'd advise not to reinstall that software.

Let me know if you decide to change the AV that came with as a free trial and I'll show you the proper way to get rid of that. We also have a better tool to remove security software also.

And for future posting, please do not post HJT logs in the computer help forum. If the need for one is required we prefer to keep them in the Security forum where someone who is "trained" to guide you can help.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Please disregard rockmilk's post concerning Hijackthis entries.

rockmilk we are not addressing any Hijackthis log entries here and as for Msconfig please read and understand.

Why you should not be using MSconfig to control startups!!

Many people frequently use MSconfig as a long term solution to control startup processes and services. You will also see many websites condoning use of MSconfig and teaching you how to use it for controlling startups. This is a very bad idea for many reasons.

1 MSconfig was designed to be used only as a temporary debugging/troubleshooting tool. It was not meant to be used for long term solutions.
2 MSconfig does not show all startups anyway.
3 If you uninstall programs while they are being disabled with MSconfig, they will not be uninstall properly and you will have to resort to manual registry editing to properly get everything removed. MSconfig will leave orphan entries if/when installed software is uninstalled while under the control of MSconfig . When/if MSconfig is turned back to normal startup, it will give errors on boot due to those orphan entries.
4 MSconfig and Services:

• If you uninstall programs while you have some of the programs services being controlled with MSconfig, the programs will not be uninstall properly and you will have to resort to manual registry editing to get everything properly removed.
  • When you uncheck a service in msconfig, you completely disable it. If you uncheck the wrong one, you may not be able to restart your computer.
  • It is safer to control services by using Control Panel, Administrative Tools,
Services (this runs services.msc).
5 You can lock malware items into your registry that you may not see anymore until some point in time where you switch back to Normal Startup mode and now you can cause total reinfection of your PC with the malware. You need to remove the malware not mask it.

If you still don't understand why not to use MSconfig, see what Microsoft writes here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560 The key point is stated as such:

The System Configuration utility helps you find problems with your Windows configuration. It does not manage the programs that run when Windows starts.

http://forums.majorg...ad.php?t=149804

You can control start ups with these programs found below:

http://www.winpatrol.com/

http://www.malwareby...cts/startuplite

Advertisements

bolt1963

bolt1963

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Ok. I was going to post the following link but I see you found the proper shortcut key to return your system back to factory settings.

http://forums.lenovo...ult/ta-p/575279

Do not use Revo to uninstall the crapware that came with your computer. PC Decrapifier is a much better program and is for that purpose. See link below.

http://pcdecrapifier.com/download

Advanced System Care is not a program that I would recommend to anyone. It does include a registry cleaner that we do not advise to use because they tend to remove good registry entries. I'd advise not to reinstall that software.

Let me know if you decide to change the AV that came with as a free trial and I'll show you the proper way to get rid of that. We also have a better tool to remove security software also.

And for future posting, please do not post HJT logs in the computer help forum. If the need for one is required we prefer to keep them in the Security forum where someone who is "trained" to guide you can help.

zep- thanks for the advice. Already installed Advanced System Care, but will uninstall immediately.

ALSO, through trial and error retracing my steps, I found the culprit of the original problem. It was SuperAntiSpyware detecting and removing what it identified as a Trojan.

So if you don't mind, I would definitely be interested in your advice.

Already used the windows uninstall program to remove McAfee and downloaded Avast. I have been using Avast for years. Will make changes if you advise otherwise.

As for SuperAntiSpyware and Advanced System Care - will remove both. Do you have an alternative? Or are they unnecessary to begin with?

Thanks in advance, you have been a big help.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
This is a brand new computer and a lot of preinstalled software is on there. The entry that SuperAntiSpyware found could be a false positive but we need to make for sure.

Go to the 1st link below and run OTL as directed then create a new thread in the removal forum, which is the 2nd link below, post the OTL log in the new thread. Add a link to this thread here so they can see what has been done so far.

1st link--> http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

2nd link--> http://www.geekstogo...alware-removal/

They can also help to remove any leftover files from McAfee if any are found. Once they are finished determining if it is a false positive you can come back to this thread for further assistance if needed.

SuperAntiSpyware is an excellent program. Keep it. You'll have to be patient because they are very busy at this time in the removal forum. DO NOT uninstall/install or run any more programs at this time. You can also post the SuperAntiSpyware log in your new thread so they can see what it removed.

bolt1963

bolt1963

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

This is a brand new computer and a lot of preinstalled software is on there. The entry that SuperAntiSpyware found could be a false positive but we need to make for sure.

SuperAntiSpyware is an excellent program. Keep it. You'll have to be patient because they are very busy at this time in the removal forum. DO NOT uninstall/install or run any more programs at this time. You can also post the SuperAntiSpyware log in your new thread so they can see what it removed.

Thanks again Zep, you have been a tremendous help. FWIW - I went in this morning and exchanged the Lenovo for an HP. The Lenovo was way too loud. (not the fan, HDD or something) So I used PC Decrapifier to get rid of Norton and bloatware - everything is perfect.

One last thing - you mentioned you wouldn't use Advanced System Care - do you have an alternative? CCleaner??

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

everything is perfect.

Great news! Ccleaner is a good start. We don't recommend using the registry function though. I don't recommend controlling start up programs with it either, as it makes use of Msconfig.

I'm hoping you received disks with the computer. Most come with a recovery partition but that's not always available when windows will not boot to it. You can make a repair disk now, and probably recovery disks if that option is present on your HP. So think about that and I'll post later on (Not at my home computer) with more detail on how to keep everything perfect.

Edited by zep516, 09 November 2011 - 01:54 PM.

bolt1963

bolt1963

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Nope, did not come with any Windows or recovery disks. But sure I can figure out how to make one using the system recovery utility.