Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck in safemode, msconfig wont change, mbr missing

• Please log in to reply

demoncamber

demoncamber

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok. This has been an all day ordeal. No recovery disc, no OS disc, dead in the water.

I'm stuck in safemode, after cleaning a nasty trojan/virus. I booted into safemode from logmein on my friends computer, cleaned her system and now i cannot get out of safemode, msconfig will not let me select normal startup, it gives me errors. I need to get into the windows 7 recovery to fix the mbr, however I have no way of getting there.

Is there ANY way of fixing the mbr from within safemode?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
There's no way to fix it from Safe Mode that I know of. See Broni's instructions here to create a recovery disk.

Edited by Digerati, 10 November 2011 - 12:52 PM.
Fixed link

demoncamber

demoncamber

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry the link you provided went to nowhere. However I did download one of the W7 repair .iso's found here: http://www.proposeds...-dvd-iso-image/ then attempted to make a bootable usb flash stick with unetbootin, however, we could not get it to boot into the recovery prompt, it just cycled through unetbootin's default automatic boot menu.

Im thinking the only way around this now is to get a cd-r and burn the iso that way instead.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Sorry about the link - not sure why it didn't work after I posted. It did work in preview. :)

Try it now.

demoncamber

demoncamber

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Works great now, thanks. I'm going to scratch the bootable usb attempts and just go straight to cdr's.

Actually while I'm here, are you aware of any fixes other then fixing the mbr that I may be able to try to get back into regular windows? I've exhaustively searched google to no avail. Basically when I open up msconfig to return to normal startup and hit apply and ok, it says "System Configuration cannot save the original boot configuration for later restoration. Boot changes will be reverted. The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted."

Furthermore, when I go to the boot tab, there is no entry and none of the boxes will allow me to check them as if they are all greyed out.

Edited by demoncamber, 10 November 2011 - 01:08 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
The only other fix is a complete reformat and reinstall of Windows - for which you will need the installation disks.

demoncamber

demoncamber

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
So fixboot or fixmbr will not even help my issue?

What about a repair install?

How could that even happen? As I was in regular windows, went into safe mode, cleaned with malwarebytes then tried to boot back into windows and it would just keep booting to safe mode.

Wait, coffee hasnt fully kicked in yet, I see what you are saying, try fixboot/mbr first and if that doesnt fix it, only other option is the latter, on the same page now lol..

Edited by demoncamber, 10 November 2011 - 01:46 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, you could try a repair install before a format/reinstall - but again, you need the installation disks.

demoncamber

demoncamber

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah, that's what I'm going to do, first I'm going to try the recovery iso, repair startup, then fixboot or mbr. If that doesnt work I'm pulling out the big guns and trying a repair install.

Hopefully it wont be a full reinstall....

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Sounds like a plan, keep us posted.