Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Humming Noise

• Please log in to reply

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi there everyone,

I have one other question that I would greatly appreciate any feedback on.

I have 2 hard drives installed in my computer:

1.) Western Digital VelociRaptor 10,000 RPM --- Western Digital VelociRaptor

2.) OCZ Vertex 2 Solid State Drive (Just to store operating system + Battlefield 3) --- OCZ Vertex 2 Solid State Drive

And I am noticing that one of the 2 are making a high pitched humming or buzzing noise (Kind of sounds similar to when your ears ring.. But its not as strong). The only time that I do not hear it is when the computer is

starting up. This leads me to believe that it is the SSD that is making the noise. Because instead of making the ringing it is loading the operating system.. But then once the OS is loaded and I am sitting idle in

Windows the ringing / buzzing starts up again.

Not sure how I can solve this issue, so if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

It's driving me crazy!

Thanks in advance,

- Basmastersix

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I'm assuming that the WD is for storage only? Can you temporarily disconnect the WD for testing? I used to have a Raptor drive and it was pretty noisy. The SSD should not make any noise at all and if it does, you need to back up your data have it RMA'ed.

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I will disconnect the WD Drive and test it now.

I will post results back in a few minutes.

- Basmastersix

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Alright, after disconnecting the Western Digital VelociRaptor... It is apparent that that is the drive that is making the noise.

But what I do not understand is why is it making the noise constantly... If it is only being used as a storage drive?

Shouldn't it be idle at all times unless I choose to read a file from it -- OR -- Right information to it?

- Bas

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
That depends on your power settings. If I remember correctly, Windows 7 defaults to a 20 minute spin down time for hard drives. You can find that in the Control Panel under Power Options and then Advanced Settings.

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Thank you for all of your assistance!

I have resolved the issue =)

- Bas