Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

'Cannot install because another installation is in progress'

• Please log in to reply

Josh Pellowski

Josh Pellowski

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So whenever I try and install or uninstall something it says cannot install because another installation is in progress. However, I have no idea what's installing. It's not any Windows Updates because I've checked those and none of those are installing. I've tried restarting my computer, it's okay for a little bit but after a day or so, I get the same message again. How can I check out what's installing without my knowledge?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hi Josh and :).

Please tell us about your computer and the version of Windows you are using.

Have you scanned for malware?

Ebsuru

Ebsuru

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
You clicked the uninstall button twice. Nothing appears sometimes when you are uninstalling files, the uninstaller is still loading. When you try to run it again (because you can't see it) it says that.

But it should not happen like that when you are downloading and installing. Did you scan your computer for viruses with your AV and your secondary scanners?

Josh Pellowski

Josh Pellowski

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry for the late response, I have a Windows 7 64 bit, I ran AVG and Malwarebytes and found no threats with either.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Next time it happens look in Task Manager to see what is running.

So whenever I try and install or uninstall something

Is that "something" something specific? Or does this happen with anything you are trying to install or uninstall?

Josh Pellowski

Josh Pellowski

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Next time it happens look in Task Manager to see what is running.

Is that "something" something specific? Or does this happen with anything you are trying to install or uninstall?

No nothing specific, I just tried to uninstall a couple different programs that I don't use and I got the same error for all of them. Is there something I should be looking for in the task manager? I looked through it and didn't see anything that had the words 'setup', 'install' or 'uninstall'. Everything looked like an actual program.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, I found a couple things. In Task Manager, do you see msiexec.exe? If so, that is the installer routine. It (or they) should not be there if you are not installing or uninstalling anything. If there, click on it to highlight, then click the End Process button and see what happens.

If no luck, see this MS KB Article, Troubleshooting problems installing and uninstalling programs on Windows-based computers.

Roxio has been known to cause this problem. Do you have that installed?