Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RESTORING SYSTEM RESTORE XP PRO

• Please log in to reply

pondleaper

pondleaper

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Is it possible to restore System Restore without using the CD Rom for Windows XP Pro?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
1. Turn off System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

2. Restart your computer.

3. Turn ON System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

System Restore will now be active again.

pondleaper

pondleaper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for the info but didn't work. Have tried all the options (including Microsoft http://support.micro...B;EN-US;Q302796 however, did learn that following devices not working. Com + Event system service failed to start, Delta Copy Server service - cannot find path, parallel port driver failed to start (cannot get it to enable), General purpose USB Driver (e4ldr.sys) failed to start. I have a pc. Computer is also refusing to go into safe mode - will not respond to F8

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is your keyboard usb or ps2?
Sometimes USB does not initialize in enough time to get to the F keys.

pondleaper

pondleaper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Keyboard is a wired Microsoft comfort curve keyboard 2000 and I don't think this is the problem as was able to go into safe mode before all this happened. Problem began with doing a Comodo backup.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried a system restore back to a time before the issue started?

You can do it with the Recovery Console by following the below instructions.

If you have Windows XP CD...

1. Boot from the CD.
2. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts. Select the repair or recover option by pressing R:

Posted Image

3. You'll find yourself at this screen:

Posted Image

4. Once you are at the Recovery Console you will be given at least one choice of Windows installations. Normally the choice you want is the number 1 choice. Click the number 1 key at the "top" of the keyboard and click enter.

NOTE: at this point your numbers to the right of your keyboard are turned off. If you insist on using these keys for your numbers remember to hit the Numbers Lock key before clicking a number over there or your computer will automatically reboot and you will have to wait through the previous steps to get back to the console.

5. You will be given a message asking for the administrator password. Unless someone or something has messed with your computer there is no password so you just click the Enter key.

6. This will bring you to a prompt that says:

C:\WINDOWS>

7. Type:

cd \

Press Enter

Note: between "cd" and "" there should be a "blank space" otherwise the command won't work

8. The prompt should now say:

C:\>

9. Type:

cd system~1\_resto~1

Press Enter.

Note: If it gives an error "Access Denied" while accessing the folder, follow the method below

Type: cd \

Press Enter

Type: cd windows\system32\config

Press Enter

Type: ren system system.bak

Press Enter

(note the spaces between ren and system, and then between system and system.bak)

Type: exit

Press Enter

now the computer should restart, then follow steps 1-6

10. Type:

dir

Press Enter

NOTE: When you hit enter it will list all the restore points folders like "rp1", "rp2" we have to see the last restore point to copy the file from a recent backup. If the restore points have more than one page then you have keep on hitting the key to view the last restore point folder.

NOTE: It is a good rule of thumb to choose the files from the restore point folder which the second to the last one.

11. Type:

cd rp{with the second to the last restore point number }

Press Enter

Example: cd rp9. if rp10 is the last restore point

12. Type:

cd snapshot

Press Enter.

NOTICE: Now the command prompt will look like this:

c:\system~1\resto~1\rp9\snapshot

Note : restore point 9 assumed for clarity of the content.

13. Type:

copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system

Press Enter

14. Type:

Exit

Press Enter.

Final note : If the above procedure won't solve the problem, repeat all steps, but in step 13 type:

copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software

Alternatively, select different restore point.

If you don't have Windows CD...

Download Windows Recovery Console: http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso
Download, and install free Imgburn: http://www.imgburn.c...hp?act=download
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

Follow steps 3 - 14.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

71tr6

71tr6

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm not sure I understand the original premise of this thread (restore system restore?) but the the explanations were excellent and I'm hoping they might help with my problem.

My home network recently stopped working - see my thread HERE.

My fist thought was to do a system restore. It didn't work. It wouldn't restore to any of the restore points I had. To me, the LAN problem was the greater priority so I've been trying to get that fixed. Upon reading this thread, it seems there might be some hope for fixing my LAN by using system restore.

So, my question is this: Will this method be likely to work from the boot disk if it didn't work from Windows?

71tr6

71tr6

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I decided to attempt to answer my own question so I put in the XP disk and ,unfortunately, did not get the screen you show.

It seems to want to just install into one of the partitions on one of the drives. There doesn't seem to be an option for restore.

If I pick a drive, will it just start installing or will I then get the restore option?

Posted Image

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you get to a C prompt or to your cd drive prompt?
If so please type in map and click Enter
From what I';m seeing there is nothing on the C partition at all.

71tr6

71tr6

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Can you get to a C prompt or to your cd drive prompt?
If so please type in map and click Enter
From what I';m seeing there is nothing on the C partition at all.

Yes, I can get to the C drive prompt. I'll do that next.

While I was gone, I burned the restore console disk from your iso and it did, indeed, get me to the window you show.
Unfortunately, once I managed to get to the restore directory, all of the restore files showed 0 length so it appears that's a dead end.

I also had to do the rename system thing. You might want to update the instructions to remind people to rename it back or it won't boot.
I forgot and had to navigate all the way through it again.

Advertisements

71tr6

71tr6

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Here you go.

Posted Image

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

While I was gone, I burned the restore console disk from your iso and it did, indeed, get me to the window you show.
Unfortunately, once I managed to get to the restore directory, all of the restore files showed 0 length so it appears that's a dead end.

This would indicate at least one of the restore points is corrupted which then makes them all bad.

I also had to do the rename system thing. You might want to update the instructions to remind people to rename it back or it won't boot.
I forgot and had to navigate all the way through it again.

This should only happen if no restore points are used thus causing the previous steps to not be valid.
At this point you may need to do a Repair Installation on your windows as it does show now on the picture you provided.

What I would suggest you do is to Backup your Data Files.
For this I would suggest using a External Hard Drive Enclosure. This will allow you to keep your Important Data safe and Separated from the main system in case of problems. The cost for this kind of Backup System has come down a lot. I would suggest a 500 Gig capacity for your needs. Since you will only be Backing Up Data Files Only this should be sufficient to do that for you. Follow the next two links to see examples of the price you will be looking at.
HERE
HERE

I suggest going to Microsofts Backup Tutorial and follow the steps to do a Backup to a External Drive and also it will guide you on how to do a Scheduled Backup even at night.

Another way you can do a Backup is by using DVD’s. This method is just as effective and can be done using the same steps as above.

After the above is done then go on to the next step.

Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.

· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
pondleaper

If YOU are still subscribed to YOUR thread, as your last reponse to rshaffer61 was on 12 NOV, could you also kindly respond to the thread I was helping you on with the Greek language problem, on which my last post was

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:42 AM

pondleaper

Did you make any progress on this issue.
Please do update your thread, when you get chance.

That is on this thread HERE
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

on which you never responded after your post here on 1st Nov

Can confirm that notebook has Windows XP Home Edition. Have taken on board that it would need Windows XP Pro to sort it and not a new copy of Windows XP home, as I thought. Again, many thanks for your valuable help.

when I replied, explaining that you were incorrect.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 November 2011 - 06:57 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
71tr6

My strong advice is NOT to proceed with the repair installation.

rshaffer61 is offline.
Please wait until he returns.

and as you have NOW just 4 minutes ago posted in the Malware forum here
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

I am sure that the Moderator will agree with my advice, however please do wait for him to reply.

What I can tell you is that this program
http://www.glarysoft...-utilities-pro/

is a most unsuitable installation for any computer. You should keep well away from registry cleaners and make you comoputer go faster programs.
Generally they have no benefits and frequently ruin you computer. Any program that is allowed access to the registry, with a view to the so called cleaning and optimization of the registry is to be avoided.

This, together with your installed MULTIPLE anti-virus and other protection software may well have weakened your protection rather than increasing it.
Two anti-virus programs do NOT, generally speaking, increase your protection as they frequently oppose each other.
Mulitple anti-virus programs, running in real time, are not advisable.

THAT SAID - Please be aware that this is NOT to be taken as ANY advice on your Malware thread - only certfied advisers can deal with Malware matters on this site. That ensures you receive the best advice.

Additionally you are advised NOT to alter anything on your computer NOW, prior to a Malware expert responding to you.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 November 2011 - 07:59 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK this was just pointed out that the topic was hijacked and I didn't catch it.
71tr6 by mistake I have been assisting you when I thought I was assisting the original poster. Please start a new topic and someone will assist you further.