Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Broken LAN

• Please log in to reply

71tr6

71tr6

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Greetings, first post here. I have 3 computers networked together. They have suddenly come unglued.

Here's the setup: The office computer is connected to a 2wire 2701HG-B modem/router. Another cat5 cable runs from the router to a hub (or switch) in the shop. The shop computer is connected the the hub. A Trendnet TEW-637AP is also connected to the hub. It broadcasts a wireless signal to the CNC computer. Pretty standard stuff that has worked fine until just recently.

All three computers connect to the internet just fine so the hardware appears to be OK.

None of the three will show any computers when I click "show network computers". It just times out with an error message.

The office computer can communicate with the shop computer. I can change and move files normally. It will let me add network drives.

The shop computer cannot talk to the office.

The CNC can't talk to either and neither can talk to it.

I'm not exactly sure what proceeded the break but I have one suspect. I recently got a Dish Satellite receiver that wanted to be connected to the internet. It was around this time that it went bad so my best theory is that it mixed up the addresses that the router assigns thereby mixing up the Windows network. I don't have a lot of faith in this theory but I thought I should mention it. The only other thing I can think of is the flurry of XP updates that we've had recently.

I've run the network wizard till I'm blue.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Regards,
Walt

Advertisements

71tr6

71tr6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Correction. If I use the Ping command, I'm able to ping the other two computers from the office computer. From the shop computer, I can contact the CNC but not the office. From the CNC, I'm able to contact the shop but not the office.

So, it appears the office is able to communicate out, but is not receiving.

71tr6

71tr6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Good news, I finally solved the problem. Of course it turned out to be an incredibly simple solution once found.

Each time I had run the network wizard I was using the same workgroup name I had always used. I finally gave each computer a new workgroup name and everything proceeded in a normal fashion.

Regards,
Walt