Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor randomly gets "hazy" or "fuzzy" using KVM

• Please log in to reply

stripesthegamer

stripesthegamer

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hey G2G,
For the past two months I've been having this issue where my monitor gets hazy, or fuzzy. This isn't blurry, it get's these small lines that are slanted THROUGH the ENTIRE monitor. There's no "ok", clear spot. It's killing me. :)

The only thing that I can think is, my KVM. I have an off brand 4-port KVM. But here's the facts. I replaced it, with a new one. And I still face the troubles. I also purchased a brand new 24" LCD monitor (not just because of this problem). It still does it. I've replaced KVM cables, and disconnected numerous times. The problem comes and goes. Recently, I've been able to temporarily fix it by fidgeting with cables on the back of my PC. Usually the Monitor or peripherals. I have yet to by-pass the KVM because I really don't want to do that to my cable management. :S I only have 3 computers on the KVM right now. My only guess is something with my current gaming unit, like a graphics card going bad? Is this a common sign, I've looked it up and found NOTHING like it that fits the description. The card is also an expensive $160 unit, just about a year old.

Edited by stripesthegamer, 15 November 2011 - 08:41 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi stripesthegamer
It does sound like a poor connection or your GFX card possibly not being seated securely.
Remove and then reseat the GFX card and while you are there check for dust, that your Ram is also fitted correctly and the slots are dust free, all internal connections are secure, the condition of the PC to screen cable (including the pins in the end connections) and finally that when the video lead is reconnected that it is secure (finger tighten only) good luck and let us know how it goes.

stripesthegamer

stripesthegamer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Just figured I'd write back to confirm the fix. The issue was irrelevant to my computer, it was my printer's power cable touching against a thumbscrew on the back of the case. I'm guessing somehow the electrons passing through disturbed my graphics VGA output. What a mystery to discover.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks for letting us know that the issue is resolved and how it was achieved, your post may help someone with the same or a similar problem in the future.