Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer "Red X" in place of pictures

• Please log in to reply

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
No Problem. No Harm Done. I created a System Restore before I started to execute it per your previous instructions.

Looks like the needed update finally got installed (See attached for updates remaining). (Although I tried the MS solution (the rename bat file denoted previously) first and tried to download from MS Update and it did not work.

After seeing that the updated installed restarted in Safe Mode as suggested and tried to delete Downloaded Program Files (See attached copy. Unable to delete. Also attached a copy of Downloaded Installation Files (are they related?)

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Could you please clarify

Looks like the needed update finally got installed (See attached for updates remaining). (Although I tried the MS solution (the rename bat file denoted previously) first and tried to download from MS Update and it did not work.

I thought you were downloading directly from the link.

I apologise again for my error in sending the wrong update for the 2003 server instead of IE7 - I hope you can see how it happened, even although it was an error.
HAVE you used system restore - if you ONLY downloaded it you would not need to and if you had installed it, if indeed it would install you could have removed it using Add/Remove programs - checking the small box show updates.

Anyway - to move on
1. Install those other updates please.

2.No they are not the same.
Please check the shockwave flash downloaded 23 Nov is NOT indicated as damaged.

Signing off - see you about 2000 UK time

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
After trying the MS suggestion I sent you I first tried to see if it would work and went directly to the WU site. When it did not work, downloaded directly from the link. It installed with no problem.

No problem - easy to see how it could have happened. After downloading incorrect link, set System Restore but then noticed it was not an XP download and did not install.

Other security updates are now installed.

Shockwave Flash downloaded 11/23 is also damaged (See attached).

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. By default, Internet Explorer 4.0 and later uses the Windows\Downloaded Program Files or Winnt\Downloaded Program Files folder. If you upgraded from Internet Explorer 3.x, both an Occache and Downloaded Program Files folder may exist. In this case, all new ActiveX controls are installed in the Downloaded Program Files folder, but previously installed ActiveX controls still work in the Occache folder. When you open the Occache or Downloaded Program Files folder in Windows Explorer, Windows NT Explorer, or My Computer, all ActiveX controls are displayed regardless of the folder in which the ActiveX control's files are located.

2. Internet Explorer 4.x or Later (All Platforms)
Internet Explorer 4.x or later, include the Occache.dll file, which is used to enumerate, update, and safely uninstall ActiveX controls using a "shell folder."
  • Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs, and then click the Install/Uninstall tab.
  • If the ActiveX control you want to remove appears in the list of installed programs, click the ActiveX control, click Add/Remove, and then follow the instructions on the screen. If the ActiveX control does not appear in the list of installed programs, continue with the next step.
  • In Windows Explorer or Windows NT Explorer, double-click the Windows\Downloaded Program Files folder or the Winnt\Downloaded Program Files folder, right-click the ActiveX control you want to remove, and then click Remove.
  • When you are prompted to remove the ActiveX control, click Yes.
3. IMPORTANT: The following ActiveX controls should not be removed if you are running Internet Explorer 4.0:

• DirectAnimation Java Classes
  • Internet Explorer Classes for Java
  • Microsoft XML Parser for Java
  • Win32 Classes
Internet Explorer 5.0 or later does not require these components in the Downloaded Program Files files.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Since the list does not appear in Add/Remove I went to the folder WINNT/Downloaded Program Files. Right clicked and removed file and it looked like it was removed but then when I went back to the folder it was still there. Same thing happened with any of the other files.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Try in Safe Mode please.

If that does not work - access the system admin account - and try again from there please.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Tried in Safe Mode. Did manage to delete files recently added - Shockwave. Others came back after they allowed me to delete.

To clarify, I started up in Safe Mode, went to WINNT/Downloaded Program Files, selected all, deleted. Closed out of explorer, went back into explorer, opened WINNT/DPF. All files were still there except for those recently added - Shockwave Files.

Currently (and always) logged on as Administrator. Is there some other way to access System Admin account?

Edited by joseph456, 26 November 2011 - 05:21 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am sure this is what you did, but just to check, go back to the downloaded program files.
Compare what is there with what is in the occache.

Are they the same.

NONE of these appear in the add.remove programs.

If we are correct up to now.

Right click delete ONE of them. Leave that Window open. Is it now in the recycle bin.
If so EMPTY the recycle bin.

Close all windows.
Reboot in Safe Mode.
Is the file that you deleted back in the downloaded program files.

If it is NOT - repeat the procedure.

If it is at the Welcome screen press Ctrl Alt Del TWICE and enter the Admin account. Very likely the password is blank.

Try again.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Same files are in downloaded program files as WINNT/occache

None of these files appear in the add/remove program file

Rebooted in Safe Mode (also tried the same process in regular mode) Tried Control Alt Delete twice but did not see any thing else other than task manager

Right clicked individual file in Downloaded Program Files, clicked remove, left open, did NOT appear in recycle bin, reappeared in Downloaded Program Files

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The built-in Administrator account is hidden from Welcome Screen when a user account with Administrator privileges exists and enabled. In Windows XP Home Edition, you can login as built-in Administrator in Safe Mode only. For XP Professional, press CTRL + ALT + DEL twice at the Welcome Screen and input your Administrator password in the classic logon window that appears.

Unless you created a password when XP was installed for the system account it is blank.
This account is NOT the account in Control Panel - User Accounts Admin account, that you have established.

I have just checked I thought I was right from Pitstop you have
Windows XP Pro SP3 therefore the Ctrl Alt del twice should have got you in. - got it I think - in normal mode NOT safe mode.
Note - signing off - goodnight.

Advertisements

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
No users have been created in User Account

Tried the Ctrl Alt Delete 2x in both Safe Mode and Normal Mode Nothing different happened perhaps because system starts up as Administrator.

See Print out from "Run As" printout from IE7

Edited by joseph456, 26 November 2011 - 10:16 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
How is the computer running and handling ActiveX etc
How is the general performance.

How is the computer that was the subject of this thread originally.

I do not like, one little bit, saying - I think it best to leave it, BUT if these few files are not causing problems, and if it is running OK, it may be best in the circumstances, to leave it.
Especially in view of the fact that the vital ones are :
  • DirectAnimation Java Classes
  • Internet Explorer Classes for Java
  • Microsoft XML Parser for Java
  • Win32 Classes
Internet Explorer 5.0 or later does not require these components in the Downloaded Program Files files.

HOWEVER
It appears there is one other matter which requires your attention.
You may I think have confused User Accounts - with believing that this is ONLY an account without Administrative rights.
That is NOT the case.
When Windows is installed the system Administrative account is installed by default.
The reason is that there must be an account for Windows to load.
You should NEVER run the system on THAT account, with NO other account enabled.
If the profile of that account becomes corrupted YOU then cannot sign in to Windows.
You therefore then have no way of doing so - easily., or indeed by any means.
Therefore you should always have another account created in the User Accounts with Administrative rights.
Whether or NOT you also want an account without Admin rights is a matter for you.

Please see this regarding the matter
There are two types of user accounts available on your computer: computer administrator and limited. The guest account is available for users with no assigned account on the computer.

Computer administrator account

The computer administrator account is intended for someone who can make systemwide changes to the computer, install programs, and access all files on the computer. Only a user with computer administrator account has full access to other user accounts on the computer. This user:

•Can create and delete user accounts on the computer.

•Can create account passwords for other user accounts on the computer.

•Can change other people's account names, pictures, passwords, and account types.

•Cannot change his or her own account type to a limited account type unless there is at least one other user with a computer administrator account type on the computer. This ensures that there is always at least one user with a computer administrator account on the computer

By using the procedure that it appears you have done, using the inbuilt system admin account, you place yourself at severe risk of NOT being able to access the computer, using THAT system account, when and if the profile of that account is corrupted.

If the profile of the account you would create becomes corrupted and Windows will not load on that account, then you can gain access in the way I described when directing you to the System Admin account.

Corrupt user profile
See this please
http://support.microsoft.c
http://support.micro.../strong></span>om/kb/811151

You will note that you sign in using an Admin account - YOU of course could not do so, as you do NOT it appears have one, except the Built in System Admin account.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
PERFORMANCE

General Performance is good as its ever been (after 7 years) CPU usage is low with only 27 processes running (See Task Manager).

Their are about 13 "File Not Found" entries (See Autoruns). Could that be affecting the files that cannot be removed?

Also, since you said many of these downloaded program files were Java related what do you think about uninstalling (which was on before the old IE7) and then reinstalling Java?

ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT

As you have observed I currently use the computer as "Administrator." There is no password that I know of. Do you suggest I create a user account with Administrator privileges and log in with that account? Currently I do not logon even though there is a Winlogon currently running in Task Manager.

How do I create this account and use it? Should it have a password?

Thanks for all of your help and time.

Attached Thumbnails

• Autoruns.JPG
  • Autoruns Part 2.JPG

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

As you have observed I currently use the computer as "Administrator.

Well, I would for the reasons outlined.
If that account profuile is corrupted - on which account are you going to access Windows with- answer NONE as you do not have one.

How - please see the link
http://www.microsoft...w.mspx?mfr=true

and follow the instructions there and in User Accounts in Control Panel.
CAUTION - be extremely careful, checking each move regarding the copying of your details to the new User account.

We now know of course why you could not access the system admin account - using Ctrl Alt Del

You could uninstall using REVO - however I would WAIT until you have the new account - see what the situation is and then address the issue.
http://www.geekstogo...vo-uninstaller/
CAUTION - CARE is required. ENSURE and check AGAIN what it is you are uninstalling.
I very much doubt whether an uninstall and reinstall of JAVA will deal with that issue.

AUTORUNS
Are you familiar with Autoruns.
It is an extremely powerful program.
If you understand the difference between removing the checkmark to prevent item loading and the highlight of the entry and then clicking on the Entry tab and clicking delete - just for one example - then use it.

Autoruns is excellent, however in my opinion - NEVER invoke the delete - unless you know for certain and beyond doubt that the report "file not found" is totally and absolutely correct.

See the fourth post on this link please
http://forum.sysinte..._topic5226.html

Autoruns is great, however, and please do not think I include youi in this remark, it is like any other program with such capabilities, it should not be used, except for viewing purposes, unless you have read HOW to USE it.

My kind regards and it has been great to work with you.
Thank you for your readily expressed appreciation.

I am NOT leaving you as such, and will receive notification of your posts on the thread, so if you have further questions you only have to ask.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Now I really need help. I created the new user account but all my desktop settings and shortcuts are gone. What do I do now? How do I transfer all the settings over to this account? I see that their is an option under system to copy settings but I am not sure where to copy it to.

HELP!

Also tried to get back to Administrator by Control Alt Delete but did not work

Also - Internet Explorer keeps loading Runonce page

Edited by joseph456, 27 November 2011 - 12:17 PM.