Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer "Red X" in place of pictures

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I feel you may have rushed into this a little quickly.
The reason your desktop settings and shortcuts have gone is that you are now on that new account you have created.

Therefore you will see only the basic desktop etc for that new account.

Go back to my post 70 - and Follow the instructions there carefully.
If you cannot access the System admin account by keying Ctrl Alt Del TWICE at the Welcome screen.
Then go in via Safe mode

Advertisements

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Thanks for getting back to me quickly.

Able to get back into Administrator account by using Tweak UI to show "Administrator" at logon. So I think I am back to my original account with all its settings.

Now there are two accounts to log in to until I can get the new account configured: Administrator and Computer Admin. These are some of the strange things that happened with the new user account:

Internet Explorer kept showing runonce
Internet Explorer acted strange. For example when I posted on the GTG site it would hang and not move to the next page as it normally does. Even the Add/Reply page seemed to look different.

Google - although I could log into my account could not open Account Settings to load iGoogle page.

Still do not know how to transfer settings to new user account.

Edited by joseph456, 27 November 2011 - 12:58 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
This may seem a little strange after all I said, but there are some problems that are really difficult to solve, on a post to post basis, when you cannot actually work in realtime on the actual computer.

Having reviewed the situation, I think it best if you carry on as you have been for however long with just that account.

The absolute worst situation is, if that account becomes corrupted, that you are facing a complete format and reinstall AND that is the absolute disaster scenario.

Backup on an external drive, preferably as a complete image is vital, but then it is in any situation.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Will do. Did not mean to cause so much hassle. Thanks for not leaving me hanging.

Can I delete the user account so I don't have to keep logging in to the Administrator account?
How do I "Backup as a complete image?" Up to now, all my personal accounts are kept in my documents and I have been copying that folder over to an external drive.

Edited by joseph456, 27 November 2011 - 02:19 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Did not mean to cause so much hassle

You didn`t cause any.

That is what we are here for.
Because we enjoy helping people and particularly the more challenging ones.

However, although I am willing to proceed, I have to bear in mind at all times, what is best for you.

Yes you can delete it and it will ask "Do you wish to keep the files" choose NO.

Go Start, right click My Computer, Properties, then hardware tab, then device manager and then disk drives.
What is shown in respect of the C Drive and what make is the external drive
If we have covered it my apologies - pls tell me again.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Was not sure if I was supposed to disable account first http://www.microsoft...r.mspx?mfr=true

However, unable to delete user account there was no option on the screen (See Attached)

Note not even option to change rights (See Computer Admin Picture)

Hard Drives - Not much info at the Device Manager so I got this from Speccy
IC25N040ATMR04-0
Manufacturer Unknown manufacturer - I think it may be Hitachi
Heads 16
Cylinders 16383
Device type Fixed
ATA Standard ATA/ATAPI-6
LBA Size 48-bit LBA
Power On Count 11227 times
Power On Time 795.2 days
Features S.M.A.R.T., APM, AAM
Transfer Mode Ultra DMA/100
Interface PATA
Capacity 39.1GB
Real size 40,007,761,920 bytes
RAID Type None

External Hard Drive - Hitachi 250GB SimpleDrive Mini

Attached Thumbnails

• User Account No Delete Option.JPG

Edited by joseph456, 27 November 2011 - 05:33 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You are correct it is an Hitachi Travelstar

See this
http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

It may asist in future.

Unfortunately unlike Western Digital who provide FREE their version of Acronis, or rather Acronis, adapated to WD free version. and Seagate who provide Disk Wizard
Hitachi do not provide a free backup image tool.

This link will explain what I mean from another thread I have been working whilst with you.
http://www.geekstogo...rt/page__st__30
Post 36 and 40 refer.

These are some of the ones that appear more highly regarded
http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/

http://www.paragon-s...m/home/br-free/

http://www.macrium.c...eflectfree.aspx

PLEASE NOTE I have NEVER used them, as all my HDD`s in my four computers are either WD, Seagate or Maxtor which is now Seagate anyway.

Sign in on the account - Admin that you have always done.
Go via this
Follow that path:
Start => Control Panel >User Accounts => Click on the account to be deleted => Delete the account
=> Delete File => Delete Account

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Thanks.

Did you get a chance to see my comments/photos regarding deleting the user account? Not sure what to do

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Its on the post -
but I see what you mean now from your image -

Change another account - left hand pane.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
After going to Change Account does not give the option to delete this user account. Note this account has Administration privileges. Please see photo on previous post. There is not option there to delete.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Yes I did see the images.

1. Did you do please as per my original post dealing with this issue.

Therefore you should always have another account created in the User Accounts with Administrative rights.
Whether or NOT you also want an account without Admin rights is a matter for you.

As this is then the situation
The Administrator account logon option appears only in Safe mode, if more than one account is created on the system. The Administrator account is available in Normal mode only if there are no other accounts on the system.

2. I can now only suggest that you either do, as below, but please appreciate that it must be your decision, rather than a recommend from me. Please do not take that as me being in anyway dismissive of the problem. WHAT has actually now happened after you used Tweak UI power toy, or WHY the system account was not visible to log into on Safe Mode or at Ctrl Alt Del twice etc I do not know.

Start, run and type
Control Userpasswords2

This will take you to

CHECKING and please take care - select the account you want to remove. Then click on Remove.
Check again before you do so that it is the account you created.
If you select the wrong one you will have severe problems.

The other way and the SAFER way is here. BUT you have said it does not work

To open the User Accounts tool, open Control Panel from the Start menu, and then double click User Accounts.

To Make Changes to an Account
  • Click Change an account in the Pick a task list box.
  • Click the account that you want to change.
  • Select the item that you would like to change:
  • Click Change the name to change the name that appears on the Welcome screen for the account.
  • Click Change the picture to change the picture that is used to represent the user account. You can use any image file on the computer for the user's picture.
  • Click Change the account type to change the account type to increase or decrease the user's rights on the computer.
  • Click Create/change the password to create or change the password for the user and create or change the password hint.
  • Click Delete the account to delete the user account from the computer. When you delete the account, you are given the option to save the user's files on the computer.

Note: You can not delete the account for a user that is currently logged on to the computer

Therefore although I do not use it and cannot advise.

you may be back to this.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Thanks for all your time and assistance. Some of these options seem like they may disable my system. I think what I will do is just use the Tweak UI option so it does not appear on Welcome Screen. Maybe sometime I will go back to it to try to get it to work.

As a result of your help I was able to:

Get rid of the Red x's by reloading IE7
Update IE7
Learn how to use MS Paint
Streamline MS Config

One last question (or two) -

What happens if I unclick both Administrator and Computer Admin so that neither appear on the Welcome Screen?
Will the system automatically log in to Administrator?

Also what did you think about the MS option (see link on previous email #) to go through Control Panel/Administrative Services/Computer Management/Local Users and Groups/Users then disable and then delete user there?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am signing off I would have gone 30 mins ago but I just found something that needed attention. - not your thread.

Will reply tomorow

Need to know what type of account you created - as per 1 on the last post.

No rush will not be online until 2100 hrs.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
The account I created was a Computer Administrator account. I think that is why I am having difficulty deleting it.

Have a good night.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Uncheck - show computer admin. on welcome screen in second of your screenshots.
LEAVE ADMINISTRATOR checked.