Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Voices bleeding onto my computer

• Please log in to reply

nanajanet

nanajanet

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I am getting voices, on all of our computers. They will just come up, out of nowhere, sounds of girls giggling, a man's voice talking to them. It comes and goes, on my two Windows 7 and my one Windows XP, even if a page is not open. DSL is always on. Could it be picking up radio or tv? It's just more annoying, than anything. :) Thanks for assistance.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Yeah, that's spooky. I can see, maybe, it happening to one computer, but not all. Even if a radio or TV signal was being induced into your network somehow, I don't see how that audio would get into the audio sections of the computers. One, maybe, but again, not all 3.

Are they normal volume or in the background?

Have you run your malware scanners and all three computers?

Note that RFI (radio frequency interference) is typically a problem when there is improper grounding. So I recommend you check your wall outlets with a AC Outlet Tester. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Walmart.

Also, make sure the cables into and out of your DSL modem and to each computer are tightly fastened. These cables are "shielded" (the wires inside are wrapped in foil) just to prevent interference but that shielding is ineffective if not grounded. And the ground is supplied through the connector. A loose cable connection will not provide a good ground for the shielding.