Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't post after simple "tip over"....

• Please log in to reply

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Great! I am glad you got it sorted out and thanks for the followup.

Advertisements

SubyRS

SubyRS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
What I don't get is why slight tip over with power off = two bad memory modules ?

I hdn't turned the PC on a a week before that....maybe just massive coincidence ?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, the ATX Form Factor standard requires +5Vsb standby voltage be applied across several points on the motherboard whenever the computer is turned off, but still plugged in (and if equipped, the master power switch on the back of the PSU is set to on). This standby voltage is used for all sorts of things, including Wake on LAN, Wake on Keyboard, Wake on Mouse, and "soft power" features that include the front panel power switch and hybrid sleep mode which keeps your data in memory, but the computer is still asleep. So I suspect it was such a shock on the RAM modules, they could not take it. They are pretty sensitive devices and why you need to unplug from the wall and discharge any static in your body before even thinking of touching them.

SubyRS

SubyRS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks again for the very helpful info. :)

I guess it's my fault that the memory went bad and I should not try to make Corsair pay for it.
They were really good about replacing some memory three years ago and I had lost the receipt!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
You can always contact them and see what they say. Just be truthful with them. Who knows? Certainly they want your repeat business and their RAM is warrantied for life.