Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD and Random Laptop Shutdowns

• Please log in to reply

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
We hit it with some canned air, didnt have a lot so we need to buy some more but today a more pressing problem arose. When I turned the computer on it started making this horrible almost grinding noise that repeated itself on 3 partial boot-ups. So I'm guessing my fan motor is finally kaput and needs replacing. Only trouble is I have no idea where to go to replace it or even how to if I could get the parts.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The other problem is which of possibly 3 or more fans is making the noise. Have you been able to determine that yet?

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Not yet but I'm gonna drop by Frys and Best Buy later on today and see if we can't ascertain which fan it is and to buy the replacement part for it. Just from the way it was sounding it seemed like the back right which would make it the more universal cooling fan. But I'll have them take a look at it just to be safe. It would have to do this on the day before Christmas Eve though, wouldn't it? Murphy's Law strikes again...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It's either the CPU fan Secondary Case fan or the PSU fan. If you haven't done any adding of fans those would be the default fans in most desktops. Some will have a fan in the front also.

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
We checked it with Best Buy/Geek Squad earlier, looks like its the CPU fan, dropped by Frys and ordered the part, it should be here next Thursday at the latest, with the holidays.

As a plus I learned apparantly my Asus EeePC 1015 Seashell series netbook that I'm using as my alternate can be upgraded to 4 GB RAM instead of just 2. Supposedly anyway. I'm going to bring it to the Frys when I pick up the part to confirm we were on the same page - just a little side-note that made me smile

Edited by Itachirumon, 24 December 2011 - 06:18 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear. What OS is on the netbook?

cpedley

cpedley

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

Problems since it said no valid crash dumps found. TRied to follow instructions on your site [from the link provided] but I use Windows 7 and the instructions do not work. They seem to be perhaps for Xp.

When I right click on Computer and click Properties there are no tabs at all just a page showing on the left

.Control Panel Home at top
.Device Manager
.REmote ....
.System protection
.Advanced system settings

... tried Advanced system settings but nothing like description on your web page...

Hope you can help.

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

That is great to hear. What OS is on the netbook?

Win 7 Starter - after a bit more research I have to upgrade it to at least 7 Home Premium before it'll support the 4gb, but I can get an upgrade for like $90 from Staples and it'd honestly be nice to have more than just base functionality anyway.

Happy Holidays!

Edited by Itachirumon, 25 December 2011 - 01:41 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: cpedley

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Please post more information as to your exact issue in your topic. Include any error messages you get as well as your system specs. This will help us to assist you more efficiently.
Thank you for your cooperation.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Win 7 Starter - after a bit more research I have to upgrade it to at least 7 Home Premium before it'll support the 4gb

It isn't a upgrade that will allow you to use 4 gigs.
You have to switch from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS to utilize more then 3.5 gigs of memory.
You cannot upgrade from 32 to 64 bit OS. You will have to do a fresh install to achieve that.

Advertisements

Itachirumon

Itachirumon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Ohhh, I see. I must have misread, I'm still in the researchy phase of figuring things out.

Melvin_Deal

Melvin_Deal

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Just for future reference... with clogged ports, vents, broken fans etc... canned air is NOT a solution! Canned air is never a solution even for a keyboard... it only blows the dirt further in!!! You should use a vacuum source to pull the debris out of the machine instead of force it further in!!!

Please don't let the retailer guy/geeks sell/tell you how to upgrade! You are already spending $ just by taking it to them! As well as time and effort. It may be cheaper to buy an external HD (which you should have anyway for back-up) then remove the important files to it.

Please remove the important files (pictures of family, friends, financial data, documents, etc.) to a stand alone Hard Drive! Then upgrade your machine at your own pace!

Sincerely,
-Mel
Live long and prosper!

Edited by Melvin_Deal, 27 December 2011 - 12:54 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Melvin I'm not sure what your post is meant for but canned air will work even on a laptop.
The secret is you open the compartments on the bottom of the laptop and blow from the inside out. Blowing from the outside in is never the correct step to use for sure.
There are some small laptop vacuums that are made that can be used but never a household vacuum even on a pc is a good ideal. Discounting canned air completely is not only wrong but foolish since that is what Techs have used for years to clean out the inside of pc's.
I do agree that a good backup of your important data is always a priority in any computer. If it is worth saving it is worth multiple backups as we always tell everyone. Nowadays with the cost of a external hard drive it is easier then ever to have a backup. Not counting cd's, dvd's, flash drives and even online backup is now available.
Laptops are not much for upgrading except for the memory and the hard drives as most components are built on the motherboards of laptops. Replacement is expensive on anything else it is always recommended to just purchase a new laptop if the current one has run it's life span.
You are correct that a retailers or repair shop should never dictate what type of upgrades you do but only offer suggestions as the owner should have options and not just forced to upgrade because that is the only option.

Melvin_Deal

Melvin_Deal

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi rshaffer61 and Itachirumon!

I should have elaborated. Once again I am reminded the the use of the word "never" rarely applies in the PC world!

"that is what Techs have used for years to clean out the inside of pc's". Key words being ("the inside of pc's") The machine case is open. I did not mean to discount canned air completely! Only in the case of a laptop intake port when used from the outside!

It is as you describe rshaffer. Especially where laptops are concerned.

I have found that without proper instruction users tend to used the canned air from the outside of the machine directly to the inside, blowing some of the debris to the inside (as this is fast and easy). Then the fan will force the debris further to the interior of the laptop. As the user cares for the machine and thinks this is appropriate, they repeat the process over time. The debris often ends up over time blocking an internal airway vital for the cooling of one internal section of the machine. Then the internal sensors of the machine ramp up the usage of the cooling system in an attempt to cool that section putting undue stress and wear on the fan, leading eventually to failure. For most users, blowing the debris from the inside to the outside presents a challenge.

I differ in that the use of a household vacuum with a hose, utilizing the common duster attachment (the one with the brushes, preferably natural organic bristles) is a viable option for the everyday user. The use of the attachment diminishes the force of the vacuum and when applied and brushed gently to the port will break free the debris and remove it completely from the port. I in no way advocate the direct application of the full force of a household vacuum to the port directly! Some vacuums have an adjustment that also allows you to diminish the force of the vacuum by opening a vent on the end of the hose as well.

As desktop cabinets have much more open space within the interior passages, this is not so critical.

Sincerely,
-Mel
Live long and prosper!

P.S. Thank you for reminding me to slow down and take the time to fully explain rshaffer! Unfortunately the event in Singapore has driven up the cost and availability of hard drives temporarily (both internal and external).

Edited by Melvin_Deal, 27 December 2011 - 06:27 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem Melvin and please don't think I was attacking you in anyway. My sole purpose was to point out the obvious as you said. Blowing into a laptop is useless and most likely to cause even more issues then the starting issue.
The use of a vacuum is not forbidden as you you pointed out with the right attachments to lessen the possible suction.
There is a new product I have been seeing on TV for dog hair removal which may be usable with some slight modification to the nozzle. Enough suction but a lot less then a standard home vacuum cleaner.
We are on the same direction but just taking different roads to the goal.
Your insight and description to the post is enlightening for me. Thanks for adding to the topic and please you are welcome to add to any topic except malware here at GTG. Only the trained malware techs can help with those. :thumbsup: