Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

dell laptop powers up for 3 seconds only

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I have a Studio 1737 which has a broken back case because the hinges are locked up. The wireless switch wires on the left are now broken. It was running fine last week and now:
I plug in the power adapter and it starts to power up for about 3 seconds. The power switch seems to be locked in the on position. The Dell logo appears for an instant and then it turns off. I don't think the fan even starts. I have reseated memory, removed the hard drive. Same results. The only think I can see bad is the keyboard connector on the MB has a broken retainer, but I think I have pushed the cable in far enough and placed the broken clip in position and taped it. If it wasn't making a good connection, it should still power up with a keyboard error, Right???
I would appreciate any and all help...