Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

removing lenovo programs

• Please log in to reply

wconha67

wconha67

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
i have a lenovo laptop windows xp and was wondering if i can uninstall three lenovo programs safely from my programs list.ive looked for this answer everywhere with no luck.
the 3 programs are
lenovo system update 25.31 mg
lenovo care 7.45 mg
lenovo care supplement 7.45 mg
these take up alot of space and do i really need them if i have windows update already
any help would be awesome
thanks
bill

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hi wconha67 and welcome.

While I sympathize with your situation, 40Mb of disk space is nothing. With 1000Mb in 1Gb, you can fit 25 copies of each of those program in 1Gb. And I suspect your notebook has a hard drive considerably larger than 1Gb.

How much free disk space do you have?

If you really want to get rid of them, you can probably safely get rid of the care programs, but I would leave the Update program. Windows update may not address all of the notebook's drivers.

Still, 40Mb is a drop in the bucket. I would normally recommend CCleaner but if desperately low on disk space, downloading another program now is not what you need to do. So I recommend you clean out the clutter with Windows XP Disk Cleanup. Then go through Control Panel > Add and Remove Programs and uninstall any program you installed that you don't use.

Then considerer buying an external hard drive and move off your data files that are taking up so much space - particularly, photos, tunes and videos.

wconha67

wconha67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
thanks for the welcome
i have ccleaner already and i have 82% disc space left but only about 40% ram.
i just hate extra programs that i don t need.ill keep update like you suggested.thats what i was waiting for as far as that info,ive been asking everywhere.thanks so much

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

82% disc space left

82% "left"? That's huge and not something I would worry about. Note programs sitting on the drive don't do anything but sit there. It is only when they are running that they consume RAM and CPU resources. And with 40% RAM (is that used, or remaining?), that sounds like a lot of stuff is running and you should be able to see what is using that up in task manager.

Since you have CCleaner already, if you go to Tools > Startup, you can dump that list to a text file, then upload (or simply copy) that list to here and we can look and see what is running that you don't need running.

But again, to Lenovo programs taking up only a few Mb is nothing to worry about in terms of disk space. If they are running, however, and taking up too much of RAM, then we can do something about that.

BTW, how much RAM is install and how big is your hard drive?

wconha67

wconha67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
i have 512 of ram.
your right,i have alot of space and skouldn t worry about it.also i have approx.60% ram remaining.
now i have to find out about the verizon programs downloaded on my comp. after they installed high speed.

Edited by wconha67, 20 November 2011 - 04:33 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
512Mb of RAM is not very much. I generally recommend at least 1Gb for XP and 2 to 4 Gb minimum for Windows 7. Increasing your RAM will improve your over all performance.

wconha67

wconha67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok thanks. im gonna do that.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Below is my canned text to help ensure you buy compatible RAM. Note that when starting from just 512Mb, increasing your system RAM is by far, the best bang for you money in terms of increased performance you can get. And right now, there are lots of sales going on. Note that RAM is basically your CPU's workspace And the when you increase your RAM, your CPU has lots more space to work in and can therefore get a lot more done much more quickly. If it has a small work space, it must constantly shove stuff out to the Page File located on the slow hard drive. This is even more so if you have integrated graphics instead of a separate graphics card because integrated graphics uses a big chunk of your system RAM. So with more RAM, your CPU can work more efficiently, and you save a bunch of wear and tear on your drive too. Another advantage of adding RAM is generally, you don't have to buy a bigger PSU to support it.

These popular RAM makers have auto-scanning and/or manual entry RAM wizards to help you determine which RAM is compatible with your motherboard. For manual entry, enter/select the PC or motherboard make and model number and the wizard will list compatible RAM.

Crucial - Memory Advisor
Corsair - Memory Finder (manual data entry only)
GeIL - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only)
Kingston - Memory Search (manual data entry only)
Mushkin - Advisor
OCZ - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only)
Patriot - Memory Search (manual data entry only)
PNY - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only)
SuperTalent - Memory Finder (manual data entry only)

The following retailers have auto-scanners and manual wizards. They sell brand name and/or "house" brand (re-branded) RAM.

Newegg - Memory Configurator System Tool
MemoryStock - Upgrade Configurator
18004Memory – Configurator
4AllMemory - Memory advisor (automatic and manual)
TigerDirect - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only)